Re: Post RAI, how long before you stop feeling 'Mongy' ?

Thyroid cancer

A group for anyone affected by thyroid cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Post RAI, how long before you stop feeling 'Mongy' ?

No. of entries: 12 | No.of favourites: 0 | Posted on 29 Jul 2011 10:17
  • Still feling like I have a head full of cotton. Today, just felt wiped out, Im not back at work till next week, but dreading the fact as I cant seem to regulate my enegry levels sufficiently. Losing a bit of weight, so not Thyroxine. 

Having ' normal' day then 'boom' just 'no-go' at all, nodded off this evening for an hour (well, thats the 'Top Gear' re-run for you) and still feel washed up. I do feel better than when I left the hospital, nausea has subsided, but still light headed and really 'Uuhhgggh!' 

Anyone else have the post RAI 'Ten Rounds with Mike Tyson' feeling? 

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."             -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

• Morning Dean, Iposted last night but the Mac mistress of correction whisked it away before I could post it(as it were),....and now i can't remember.... I commented on why you are still on T3 or rather why you haven'tgone on T4. I was straight on T4 after the op(soon as I'd ceased my LB impersonation), partly because my calcium was normal - and well you would know better than I?  If you could get on T4 you would feel better, with only 1 in 10 crap to good day ratio. I take in morning(175 down from 200 first 3 months) 1 hour after cupotea and then gap 1 hour to brek. Not reccomended to take at night.

Still it's up/down energy situation during day, and if workingdaytime- evenings can be exhausting. I suppose pacing is best way, and if you can get half hour kip at work, this helps. I'm 14 months post RAI and starting to see normal responses.

You are going to have to face work like a man!         yes- ol.

• I was fine first week after RAI then dipped in the second week and crawled back out again in the third. But I think it was probably because I had thyrogen and got a TSH of almost 130 so I guess it took some adjusting.

• BTW - don't like to see the word 'Mongy' used in such a context. It's pretty disrespectful to people with Down's Syndrome

• goliver4
    You are going to have to face work like a man!   

lol, too true Olly, 

Kip really isnt an option at work Big Smile I just thought I'd start to feel a bit more oomph by now, but sadly not. As Ive said previously, I'd take two surgeries to one RAI. With surgery you actually can see when our getting better, with RAI, you think your getting better, then you not.

Hoping things will improve over the weekend, but oddly enough, my nostrils, (as mentioned in the other post) are really sore again today, after having a day of being 'wiped out' yesterday, there might be a connection? I dont know really, just another day in RAI recovery land I suppose :)

Dean

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."             -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

• barbaral
    BTW - don't like to see the word 'Mongy' used in such a context. It's pretty disrespectful to people with Down's Syndrome

Are you trolling again Barbara?Stick out tongue

'Mongy' was actually the name of the dog in the famous Carla Lane series 'Bread' so Im no sure of the connection your making?

• Sorry to hear you are still feeling rough Dean. Thinking back to my own recovery first time around i had no symptoms from RAI so the key for me was getting thyroxine back in my system. After about 2 weeks i was in pretty reasonable shape and a further week or 2 and i  was 'normal'.

Kazzy

• This flaring nostril situation brings to mind a small, quite possibly unrelated, sore situation - small vampire sores at each corner of the mouth. I had assumed these were cold sores but they have lingered. They are quite discrete too, almost a 2 little shadows. They suggest slight 'singeing' from RAI. I wondered if anyone else has had subtle variations like this?

Anyone notice the site crashed late last night? I think because Mac Techies broadcast 'chacachanges' upcoming to the site(in partic to photos) many tried to download their photos + vids and crashed the site. Ho hum. Ol.

Page 1 of 2 12Next 5 >