Punch biopsy on nose

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 41 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hello all

i have a BCC on my nose, tried a six week course of cream which has no effect now dermatologist wants to do a punch biopsy.

i know I'm being superficial but how bad will it look after?  He says it will be two stitches and leave a scar, will this scar be really bad?  Anyone had a punch biopsy and can advise?  I don't really know what to do, I wouldn't stress but the nose is such an obvious place to have a scar.  Is leaving a BCC alone an option? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had a BCC on my cheek, I had 6 weeks of cream which was terrible and half my face and nose was affected, because I had such a reaction to the cream my consultant thought my face was peppered with cancer spreading from the intial core area so after the cream I had to have a puch biospy and like you was very worried about the scarring.  In actual fact it was not too bad at all, my daughter bought me special scar make up to cover up the scar but in fact after a few weeks it was hardly visible. It is just a bit pinker from the new skin.

Personally I would not leave it. Hope that helps.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

The punch biopsy is extremely small.The incision is a bit larger,hence the 2 stitches.If you find from the biopsy it is a bcc then you will have to have further treatment.A nurse did my punch biopsy.Only the injection hurt  me..Really,it's not this you should worry about.The scar is minute... so it makes me wonder if you are really worried about  other aspects of your problem...people are not so observant as one thinks anyway

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I definitely would not leave it David. I left mine thinking it would heal itself (for more than 18 months) then the optician said to me I should go to the Doc's a.s.a.p. as it was a rodent ulcer! The punch biopsy was small and not painful but as it scabbed over it was just the same as it was previously but I now knew it was BCC and nothing more serious. I am now about to have surgery with a skin graft - so do not leave it as it will get larger and I prefer to have a scar (which I believe is well done by plastics and fades anyway) rather than watching the ulcer get bigger and knowing I shall have to have treatment anyway!

Hope all goes well for you and remember that the experts deal with these in great numbers every day and will do their best to not leave a scar that looks bad. God Bless Mxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for all your advice.  Sounds like I'm over reacting!  Only question I have is I'm in a fairly public job which is also quite strenuous and out in all weathers etc, I don't think I want to be at work whilst I have stitches in and bandages etc, how long does it take before it calms down, stitches out etc?  Would booking a fortnight off work be sensible? thanks again for the much appreciated advice.  

• FormerMember

You don't need more than 1 or two days off work at most for that.It is a tiny little implement like a biscuit cutter which take a tiny little piece from the area after a small incision is made.You  will need time off if you have an excisional biopsy.A nurse did my punch biopsy.I was only slightly pained by the injection... and for a couple of days if I pulled on that side of my nose.Believe me it's nothing.I don't know why they bother as I'd have preferred not to wait for the excision.

I had no dressing on at all.Are you imagining it is going to be very big?That is an excisional biopsy where you have a dressing for 48 hours.Best to let the air get on it.It is tiny

People are not as  observant as we think..You can just say,I had a minor accident... you don't need to tell everyone.

• FormerMember

After an excision 4 weeks ago it is now almost healed and bruising is gone.I found it awesome how my body healed itself

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

The scar is nothing

• FormerMember

Ok, thanks for that info.  The dermatologist said it would leave a scar and its up to me if I do it or not, but he didn't really explain what the options would be if I did leave it.   I think a lot of my worries came from him to be honest, he was rushed and had quite poor communication skills. When did they take your stitches out marika?  

• FormerMember

I feel that there is a definite lack of communication.My operations was done really well though it was more complex than they thought but all the doctors I saw before that only gave me 2 or 3 minutes...maybe that was why they thought it was routine.

They could help by explaining.The stress of it has affected me and my husband and caused other health problems

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Seems I've been unlucky as my scar is really bad, it's indented so very visible and just wish I'd never had it done. A scar I can deal with , a massive indented chunk out of my nose is a different matter. From my own experience I urge people to consider very carefully having a punch biopsy done if they are given the option. Does anyone have any tips to help an indented scar, I'm using bio oil but I'm thinking I'm going to need some form of private plastic surgery, if such a thing even exists!? Any help on how to make this better would be really appreciated as I'm feeling really down about it. (It's been a month since the punch biopsy)