Long Term Whipple Surgery Side Effects

Pancreatic cancer

A group for anyone affected by cancer of the pancreas to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Long Term Whipple Surgery Side Effects

No. of entries: 4 | Posted on 29 Nov 2008 04:58
  • Just joined tonight, looking for Whipple Surgery survivors, I'm starting to experience side effects. Wondering if they are normal or if I should start to go through the whole doctor's experience again. Last research I found said the mortality rate after the Whipple is only 20% after five years. Not much research out there. Anybody know of any good websites for survivors of the Whipple?
  • Hi Shellee

My husband had a whipple op in July. I found two sites useful - www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk and another - www.cancercompass.com.

Hope these might be of use to you.

Best wishes
    Ellie

• Hey Shellie,

I just underwent a Whipple in December and am home recovering slowly. It's been a month now and I have some days that feel great and then suddenly a day that is awful and I don't want to get out of bed or eat anything. I've lost almost 30 pounds already.

This site has some info about food: http://www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/PCDietafterWhipples.htm

I would definitely recommend eating high protein. I try to eat an egg a day and a little chicken or fish. I really enjoy Greek yogurt with active cultures - it will kill off any bad bacteria inside you. They recommend cheese, but every time I eat it I get really sick. Now that I can eat more solid food, I like pretzels. They have no fat and are easy for me to digest.

Some nights I can't sleep because I am cramping up. I'm not drinking enough water which I think is a big deal. Hydrate! I need to take my own advice. Special K makes a powdered protein that you can add to water, so it tastes great and you are getting more protein.

Let me know if you want to chat. I could definitely use someone to share the experience with!

Tamar
  • I know what you are going through, when I first came home it was all so new to me and it seemed no matter what I did, that I just kept losing weight. I have pain pills for the cramping but I think that they bind me up to much and when I can't go to the bathroom then the pain hurts even more. I have tryed to manage the pain through massaging my stomach area softly and heat also helps. I have a colostomy so it is even more difficult for me to manage my diet because I'm not able to have nuts, seeds, skins, raw vegies, and things that don't digest well. I'm learning through experience what I can and cannot eat. It has been 1 year 3 months and I know that I am much better but I still worry about new symptoms that rise up unexpectedly and am still very paranoid about side effects. I stubbed my toe last week and blamed it on the surgery. Giggle!!! I didn't have it at first but I think I have what they call late dumping syndrome because I eat to much at one time. And the cramps associated with that are dreadful. Tell me about Greek yogurt, I read that we should eat 4 plus servings of yogurt a day, but to be sure they have live culture in it. Also being a type II diabetic I need to watch the sugar so I would like to find a yogurt that isn't full of sugar. I now am gaining all of my weight back to the extreme. 3-5 pounds a week since I have changed to a sit down office job. I know I have to be more in control of this eating thing but it is so much bigger then me. I keep hoping it gets easier. Water can be a hard habit to get into, how do those people drink more than 8 glasses a day. I haven't even been able to do 2 or 3. I did rent one of those water filter machines so I can have hot or cold water right from the nozzle at my fingertips and that does seem to help and it tastes alot better too. Where do you live? Why did you have to get a whipple? Are you OK? Please stay strong, I would love to chat with you and we can complain to each other about these bad days and as time goes by we can rejoice about the good ones. A very hard lesson I learned soon after I came home from the hospital was to ask people for help. I never was much for that. I liked to be independent. But this is a time when it's OK to let your guard down a little bit and let the people who love you help you even in the smallest of ways. Your new friend, Shellee . . . . .
Page 1 of 1