Extreme Fatigue

Mesothelioma

A place for people affected by mesothelioma to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Extreme Fatigue

No. of entries: 16 | No.of favourites: 0 | Posted on 06 Jan 2013 08:39
  • My husband was diagnosed with mesothelioma in October 2012 having previously been a very active person. Like many he was told he only has months to live. He started his chemotherapy at the begining of December and was quite ill after his first cycle. Very breathless, coughing and in great pain. He had his second cycle nine days ago but this time he has extreme fatigue, he just can't keep awake, he isn't coughing as much but still very breathleess when doing anything. Does anyone else have experience of this and is this what we are to expect. I don't know whether it's good news or bad news what he is experiencing.He seems worse since starting the chemotherapy but is that normal or are we better not having the chemotherapy. If you only have a short time to live surly quality of life is important. It's all so scary and you feel so alone.

• Hi, so sorry to hear you are going through this. My dad was diagnosed in September, he has just had his last dose of chemo on 4th January, he is 60. Each dose seems to have affected him differently. After the first he was mainly ok, he did get lots of breathlessness that only lasted a couple of days, second dose was breathlessness followed by extreme sickness, this lasted about 1week. Third dose was breathlessness and tired bit he's still been mainly very active during his treatment but falling asleep on the sofa a d going to bed early. I'm sorry I can't help much but hopefully if you can get a few different slants on it then it will help. Love to you all Gill
  • Hello Londyn

Everyone react to chemo differently.. My husband was diagnosed with mesothelioma in November 2011 and was told he had 3 / 6 months to live. Now 14 months on he is still here and fighting. He seemed to follow much the same pattern of side effects as your husband. Extreme fatigue is a very common side effect. But if you are at all concerned about ANY side effect then you must not hesitate to ask you Macmillan nurse. He only received 2 cycles of chemo as that was enough to put the mesothelioma to sleep. Now 6 months after the last chemo his consultant says there are signs that it isis waking up so is going to restart the chemo at the end of this month. 

If the consultants thought the chemo was having an adverse effect on your husband they would stop. In our experience it is worth persevering with. 

It's not an easy journey you are on but try (I know it's difficult) to keep a positive attitude. 

Can I suggest you also go to the CARERS ONLY group. As a carer you may find there will be lots more feedback there. 

I know it's not easy but keep your chin up.

Sending you love and hugs!!

Sue x

Sue

• Hi Londyn my dad was diagnosed Feb 2012, he had 4 cycles of chemo which he coped reasonably well with, he had extreme fatigue and breathlessness which can be brought on after chemo because of low red blood cells, he was given anti sickness tablets which also helped his appetite. After the chemo the meso settled down and he has had quiet a good year, apart from odd days when he was really tired and the occasional aches. His cough hasn't been that bad up to recently but after a check up and x ray in December he was told there was no change since last February and a cough is expected with his illness. It is very scary and I've seen my very active young at heart dad turn in to an old man, although mentally he is still young at heart and coping with it all extremely well, it breaks my heart to see the change in him and it must be worse for my poor mum who is caring for him and with him 24/7 but we can't really grumble as he is still having a reasonable quality of life and is still driving and getting out and about. I hope your husband feels better as he gets through the chemo and going off how my dad was after the chemo I would defiantly say it's worth having.Take care Susan x

susiek

• Hi there, my dad (64) was diagnosed in November, he's had 1 chemo session and hasn't stopped being sick/retching in over a week and has refused any more chemo sessions. His view on it is with limited time left, why put himself through it! His sickness was so severe he cracked a rib on the opposite side to his already sore lung drain.  He wont let me visit as he's a very proud man and doesn't want me to see him this way so I phone daily whilst worrying about him and my mum constantly.  I seem to be functioning on auto pilot!

Good luck and keep fighting

Tracy xx

• Hi Sue, thank you so much for your reply and sharing your husband's experiences with me. How do we access a Macmillan nurse? It is encouraging to hear that your husband is still fighting this horrible disease but sorry that he has to start chemo again at the end of the month. I wish him and you all the best (love and hugs). You mentioned the carers only group. Where do I find out about them! Thank you for encouraging me. We all need to stick together to help each other through the ups and downs. Love and hugs to you all, Londyn

• Hi Susan, thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear your dad was diagnosed with mesothelioma last year. It sounds as if he is doing well after his chemotherapy even though he suffered from somehorrible side effects. It must be so difficult to see your dad change from a very active man young at heart into an old man. I really feel for you, This sounds like my husband who was a young 70 year old. I am so glad your dad is still able to drive and get out and about. My husband has his third chemotherapy next week so I will think of you and your mum and dad and try and stay positive. Thank you for your encouragement. Take care Londyn X

• Hi Tracey, thank you for your reply and encouragement.I am so sorry to hear your dad has had such an awful reaction to the chemotherapy. It must be so difficult for you and your dad and mum to deal with the situation. I really feel for you all. Lots of hugs and kisses to you all. Londyn XX

Page 1 of 2 12Next 5 >