Melanoma

Melanoma is a type of cancer that usually starts in the skin. This group is a place for people affected by melanoma to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

ALTERNATIVE TO CODEINE BASED PAINKILLERS ??

opticalboy
Posted by

I AM IN PAIN FROM MY WLE AND SKIN GRAFT DONER SITES BUT CODEINE BASED PAINILLERS GIVE ME CHRONIC CONSTIPATION.

CAN ANYONE ADVISE ON ALTERNATIVE OVER THE COUNTER PAINKILLERS

THANKS

PETER

miajohnston
Posted by

Hi Opticalboy

I know what you are saying regarding Codeine, I avoid it like the plague!!! Unfortunately there isn't much else other than non steroidal anti-inflammatories such as Ibuprofen and Diclophenic, but they are not always adviseable with some conditions (they have similarities with Asprin). The week that I have my Chemo, the Anti-sickness tabs I need to take for a couple of days cause the same problems and I have ended up having to take senna tablets at night and a couple of movicol sachets (dissolve in water) during the day,  as well as prunes and a basket of other fruit and veg. It always seems that when one problem gets sorted with medicine, it often causes another. I think if you need strong painrelief, you may have to do something similar.

Cheers, Mia