Melanoma

Melanoma is a type of cancer that usually starts in the skin. This group is a place for people affected by melanoma to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Hi all

Sue.w
Posted by

Just wanted to say hi - got the news yesterday that I have Malignant Melanoma but caught early thank goodness, going for skin excision on Tuesday, I think that's what you call it?

I feel quite positive - unless its 5.00 am and then the fear sets in, but I guess that's perfectly normal.

Thanks for being here

Sue

Marsha
Posted by

Hi Sue,

WLE... wide local excision.  Don't worry you soon get jiggy with the lingo, and learn terms that none of us wish we ever had to!  I hope the surgery goes well for you.

Marsha x

PS If you're on facebook, come and join our group, it's called Melanomamates UK, and it's a closed group, so regular friends and family can't see what you post there.

Sue.w
Posted by

Thanks for the welcome Marsha - am a bit flaky at the moment but I guess that goes with the territory!

See you on Facebook!

Sue

suemagoo
Posted by

Hi there Sue. I had my diagnosis yesterday too. It looks like the outlook for us is good. I'm on the list for a wle now.

I know I'm going to have my moments when I feel scared, I know that's normal.  I saw a lovely Macmillan nurse yesterday so I know as well that I'm going to get looked after.

I had breast cancer when I was 28. That was over 25 years ago. One thing I wish I'd done differently is pull in more support from everyone: friends, family, neighbours - everyone really. I think these forums are great. I'm not so good with computers but I am on facebook!

Glad you are generally feeling positive. It worked for me all those years ago!

with very Best Wishes 

Sue xx

Marsha
Posted by

Are you coming to join us on facebook too, Mrs Magoo?

Sue.w
Posted by

Good to meet you Sue, had my mole removed about 4 weeks ago and returned for follow up yesterday to find out it was Malignant, still in shock I think though the info was delivered so sensitively.

I wasn't going to tell anyone other than family yesterday but today I've spread the word as I know that I fare better when I   have friends around me.  I'm a member of a text prayer group in our local church so it's gone out in that way too.  Then I found this forum - brilliant !

I think you're better at computers than you think you are - well done you!

I do hope you're excision goes well, do you know when you're booked in yet ?   I got a phone call a little while ago for a pre-op check tomorrow and surgery next Tuesday.

Take care and best wishes

Sue W

suemagoo
Posted by

Good luck tomorrow. I've not got a date yet.

It does feel better when you share the news - even though its hard sometimes. I've just been on the phone to my sister.

Sleep tight xx