Hi everyone, please visit our new look community site and let us know what you think. If you have any problems with the new site, you can still switch back to the current community site.
Sorry to ramble on any help would be appreciated.Wendy x
May I ask how old your dad is? I think he needs to be consulted on the decision and it should be his choice. I have terminal lung cancer which has spread. I had two lots of chemo and main tumor in my lungs had not grown at all so I went for another two chemo treatments. After those, the tumor had increased in size. I went for a second opinion and was offered more chemo but they doubted it would help a lot. They said it would give me maybe a month or two more but only if it worked.I am feeling reasonable at the moment, tired but I can still do a lot of things I want to. I have decided on no more chemo. It is as you say, I feel as if I would lose precious time with my loved ones. You don't want your dad feeling like crap for maybe weeks when he has limited time. This is just my view of course. I didn't want to know how long I had, I would rather concentrate on today. I have discussed it with the family and they agree, quality rather than quantity. I am sure some people would disagree with me but it is just my opinion.
Stay strong Wendy and good wishes to your dad,
I'm sorry you're going through this.
In our experience, and with what we know now dad wouldn't have had any chemo. Like your dad he was fit and well upon his termnial diagnosis and was offered palliative chemo. From the second lot he just deterioated and his quality of life was taken away from him step by step. He suffered terribly and it was a huge relief when he went because it was heartbreaking to watch him waste away and be in so much pain.
Lung cancer is a horrible, quick killer, and that is going to happen anway and treatment we thought just prolonged his suffering. We lost dad in December and I'm sure without treatment we would have lost him sooner, but at least he may have stood a chance of feeling better in those weeks leading up to his death.
It's a very personal thing and no-one can advise you, it's only natural that you want to hang onto your dad as much as possible. I hope you find some answers and can enjoy lots more time together.
My sister has been battling lung cancer for the last 2 years and until her last PET scan, things seemed to be going well. Unfortunately that scan showed growth in the tumor, plus it has spread to her liver and is in her lymph nodes in her stomach.
She has been put on a palliative round of chemo and they placed a Pleurex(?) catheter into her lung so that her lung can be drained here at home, no more trips to the emergency room for that. She knows she's terminal and the doctors advised as long as her body tolerates the chemo, they'll keep giving it to her as long as she wants. It's her choice right now.
I'm taking care of her now, until recently she was fine, almost as if nothing was wrong. She was told she had 6-8 months. I'm on such uncertain ground. I have researched end stage lung cancer and know what some of the general signs of the progression of the disease. But, I wish the doctors would be more helpful on what's going to happen with her. What I need to do.
I don't want her to suffer, so far the chemo hasn't adversely affected her. She wants to stay here as long as possible for her grandkids.
I agree that it's a personal decision on whether or not to continue the chemo, it's a decision I would hate to have to make.
Good luck to you and your family.....
Hi, I guess I am writing to confirm what has been said in the previous replies. My own position is terminal and I have just finished a second course of chemo'. A little like other medicines, the view is that second, and subsequent, courses of chemo' are progressively less effective. When I completed the second cycles of chemo' I told my wife that 'that's it, I'm not having any more'. (I will probably change my mind but with strings...?) Since getting the original diagnosis I have been really well. In fact were it not for chemo' side-effects I would have felt totally normal. Having said this, both courses have probably bought me an additional six months. (I had a particularly good response to the first course - less so to the more recent.) My plan going forwards is perhaps to accept further chemo' but with close monitoring. For example I will request XRay/CT Scan after say two infusions to see if I am getting any benefit. If I can determine at an early stage that it is unlikely that the chemo' is going to offer me much then I shall quit it then. This way I will feel as if I have given the chemo' a chance and I will have met the wishes of my family. By the way, my family are wonderful. There is no pressure on me and at all stages my wife and immediate family leave the decisions to me. My belief now is that quality is more important to me than quantity. I know the disease is going to run its course and I expect I have one year, possibly two. I want to enjoy what time I have left and I want to be as 'normal' as possible for my family. I hope this is a little helpful to you?
If you have any questions about Macmillan we would love to hear from you
You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr or YouTube.
© Macmillan Cancer Support 2015
what are these?