Excellent news to share

Head and Neck Cancers

A place where patients and carers can express their views and feelings with others in the same position. We provide details of the stories of our journeys with Head and Neck Cancer.

Excellent news to share

No. of entries: 12 | Posted on 03 Jul 2013 01:30

Excellent news to share

• Tried to post this via "update status" won't seem to let me.

I have just been given the ALL CLEAR - and discharged from Mrs NHS back into the waiting arms of Mr Private for the next 5 years.

This is the very very best possible news - so it has to be onwards and upwards. Feet up watching Djokovich at Wimbledon.

• Hello Jayne .... and well done on getting the All Clear ! So definitely onwards and upwards, enjoy the tennis : )

Joycee x

• Bravo Jayne, excellent news indeed! I'm so pleased for you. All very best wishes, Rosame
  • That's wonderful news Jayne, I'm so pleased for you.  Enjoy the tennis!  xxx

• Great news Jayne,you are proof that there is life during and after cancer,well done at reaching the milestone. Like me you watched the tennis, what a game with Andy Murrray (if you watched it) had to keep leaving the room. Once again well done all the best in the future,be good.

Chris . x

• Just to say thanks to the kind people who responded to my post. It is a very strange feeling and people around me (especially my boss) seem to think "all done & dusted", sorted but unlike a broken finger or an ear infection where you  "feel better" - this disease is not like this and I can only echo what I have read on many posts "this disease/illness changes us".

Having said that I am so grateful to be in this position and I wish us all strength and the very very best of wishes (I never use the word luck anymore) to keep moving onwards and upwards.

• How true your words are, Jayne .... we may well be all ' done and dusted ' but sometimes those side effects are with us forever and others don't always see this side of things. Yes indeed, we are different both physically and mentally .... and although those scars gradually fade, they still remain.

Today is particularly poignant for me as five years ago I was waiting to undergo the ten-hour surgery required to remove my cancer, just half an hour to go now ....

As you said, Jayne .... keep moving onwards and upwards !

Joycee x

• It hats great news for you.where abouts was your cancer,did you get regular scans
  • Rose petal - I have just read you "about me" sentence and so sorry to read what you have written. Your questions can be answered by clicking on my picture.

I had 2 MRI scans - 6 weekly checks from my Oncologist and 4 weekly checks from my ENT Consultant - camera up nose each visit.

From the outset I was told my cancer was curable, however, I believe most responsible Consultant Oncologists never use the word CURE after treatment (infact I asked this of mine and she said no she would not use that word). The words I have been told are "complete response" to the treatment after the first scan and "all clear" after the second.

Hope this helps

• Hi I am Sue whose husband has been treated for cancer of the tongue in Greece. I would like to thank everyone for their advice and support in the past 4 months. After and before the neck dissection Manolis had many scans and biopsies. After the final Pet/cat scan which like all the others came back with an all clear result, his oncologist decided that no further treatment was necessary. Manolis will have a check up scan in 3 months time. Although we had to pay for the Pet /cat scan, it would seem that this type of scan is the best for detecting if cancer has spread, does any one know why his type of scan I not used more ideally in the UK. I guess it all comes down to money. Thank you all again and I wish everyone, good health in the future. Great news recently for Joycee and Jayne. I wish you well Chris and I hope Rose Petal that you find the strength to keep on fighting. Love Sue.
  • Hello Sue.   Glad to know that after all these scans and biopsies your husband has had clear results and no further treatment is required, that is indeed great news. I only had two scans pre-treatment so I'm not too informed of all the different types and even after hitting the five-year mark I haven't had any more. So may I wish you and Manolis all the very best for the future, I hope all goes well for you both.

Joycee x

• Hi Sue,

great news about Manilos and his results,perhaps you both can now relax a bit now and feel a bit more free from hospitals etc. I think you could be correct about the cost over here,if i was a private patient it would most probably be a different story. Anyway all the best to you both glad we could help out in some way.

Chris . x