Alternative medicine

Cervical cancer

For people affected by cancer of the cervix to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other

Alternative medicine

No. of entries: 3 | Posted on 02 Feb 2013 12:55
  • Hi everyone,I'm 41 and on 22nd of january I was told that I have stage 2b small cell cervical cancer which thay want to start treating with chemo after doing some looking on the Internet and have found that there are other ways of treating the cancer other than chemo,I have read that soursop (fruit) is 100x's more effective at killing off cancer cell than chemo and is much better for you as it only targets the cancer cells unlike chemo that targets all of your cells even the healthy ones,has anyone tried any alternative treatments!! I don't know what to do for the best I'm so confused xxx
    Rosie x
  • Hi Rosie - sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  It must be a very unsettling time - you call Macmillan on 0808 808 00 00 during the week, they can talk through your options with you.  You can also go back to the doctors/nurses who are treating you with any questions (people often don't take everything in when they're diagnosed).  Chemo can be an effective treatment for cervical cancer - it does have side effects, but these are outweighed by chemo's effectiveness in treating the cancer.

Sadly, soursop hasn't been shown to be effective against cancer in humans (it does kill some cancer cells in lab studies - e.g. in a petri dish - but plenty of chemicals which do this prove to be useless or harmful when used to treat cancer in humans).  There is also evidence that soursop can cause nerve changes and Parkinsons-like symptoms, so it's certainly not risk free.  Cancer Research UK summarise the evidence here http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/about-cancer/cancer-questions/can-graviola-cure-cancer

"In laboratory studies, graviola [soursop] extracts can kill some types of liver and breast cancer cells that are resistant to particular chemotherapy drugs. But there haven’t been any large scale studies in humans. So we don't know yet whether it can work as a cancer treatment or not. Overall, there is no evidence to show that graviola works as a cure for cancer. Many sites on the internet advertise and promote graviola capsules as a cancer cure, but none of them are supported by any reputable scientific cancer organisations.

We know very little about how graviola affects the body. But we do know it can cause nerve changes, causing symptoms similar to Parkinson's disease. So it may have harmful side effects for some people. Always talk to your doctor before taking any kind of complementary or alternative therapy...We do not support the use of graviola to treat cancer. Our advice is to be very cautious about believing information or paying for any type of alternative cancer therapy on the internet."

Click here to find out more

• hi rosie how are you im having to deal with this type of cancer with my gf at the mo what is the plan for you ? x

alex

Page 1 of 1