nipple problem after rads

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 13 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Morning, has anyone had any problems with cracked nipple following rads?  I finished rads 5 days ago, have been using Flamanol gel as given to me by nurse as nipple very sore, however finding nipple has become very sore and cracked, not sure whether to keep using the gel or to let it dry up. Anyone had any similar probs, thank you, Margy x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Margy 

i had this too. My whole nipple shed its skin like a snake it was bizarre! I was checked out around 2 weeks post RT as my skin did get quite a lot worse after finishing RT. I was told to keep moisturising using anything I would normally use. I used my normal moisturiser (vitamin e) and 4 months on my skin is normal again but I still moisturise after showering . 

Keep mousturising xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That sounds sore margy, hope you get it sorted soon. Kathy xx

• FormerMember

Hi mergy

That sounds awful. I have been fine since finishing RADS on Thursday. Nothing yesterday or today, I have everything crossed as I say that! Can you get the nipple pad I was given? I was told if my skin did errupt to stop using any cream and used this pad. They also said the same if anything happens under the boob as that too is a vunerable area and I had to use the special strips they gave me. The name of the pad for nipples is ActiForm Cool, made especially for after RADS. The name of the other is Mepilex Transfer. It comes in a large piece and I have to cut strips off. Both are sticky on the side that goes to your skin and you can wear them under your bra. Your skin breathes through them. Hope you can get some and they help. Love Joyce 

• FormerMember

Hi Margy, I hope you feel a little better today or at least you have been able to see someone and get something to help. I am still feeling ok so I hope things don't go downhill suddenly. I also managed a 3 mile walk this morning so long may it continue. Love Joyce 

• FormerMember

Hi Joyce, I am not too bad today, am still using the Flamanol gel for my nipple, its not sore anymore and doesnt seem any worse, going to give it a couple of days as they did say things might get worse up to 10 days after rads finished. If still problems then I will ring my BCN for some advice.

Have a feeling I may have caused it myself as did a 3 mile run on Sat morning and sports bra felt a bit uncomfortable, think its been rubbing my nipple and causing the problem.  Going to give up running for a couple of weeks till things settle down.  Going bra-less today as its also rubbing under the boob and causing a bit of a rash. Gosh, does this ever end,  starting to get annoyed about everything now!! Hope your keeping ok and dont get any problems, love Margy x

• FormerMember

That sounds pretty awful Crystaljuju, hope mine doesnt do that!  Its not too bad today so carrying on with the gel I was given at hospital. Think wearing a very snug sports bra on Saturday has helped to cause the problem causing a bit of friction on my poor nipple as well so no running for a while.   Will ring my bcn in a couple of days if it gets any worse, thanks for your advice x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I run too so the friction was probably a big cause of the nipple 'shed' ha ha. X

• FormerMember

Running, what a silly thing to be doing!!! I cannot walk very fast as my boob hurts as I am only wearing those very soft bras that don't really support you.  You still have my sympathy, just! Hope you now only walk until all side effects are behind us. I am managing to go for walks most days and that is as much as I am able or willing to do until I am fully fit. Look after yourself properly. You can say ' Yes mum' if you like! Love Joyce 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's about 9 months since I had radiotherapy. My skin around the nipple still tends to get very dry and peeling if I don't moisturise.

I use Aqueous cream I the shower or bath. I put it on while in water to form a barrier and then use a neutral cream afterwards.

ncant wear the bras I used before. They rub too much.

Found some low impact cotton sports bras online from Tesco. Comfortable, fairly supportive, no seams that rub and only £6.

all the others I tried rubbed or were too sweaty. Find man made fibres irritate the scar.

apart from that my breast seems to have recovered, only slightly more sensitive.

with time yours should too.

really sore at first eh?

Be kind yo yourself, radiotherapy is quite something to inflict on the body!

• FormerMember

'Yes Mum' :-).  Hi Joyce, you'll be pleased to know I've hung up my sports bra for now and have bought a lovely soft comfy crop top one to wear which doesnt rub underneath. I am feeling a lot better, got a rash under boob and nipple very dry but not sore now.  Still  using the gel on that and moisturising cream on the rest of my skin, doesnt seem to be getting any worse now so hoping that its reached its peak and will now start to improve.  Hope it hurries up as not liking the way its getting in the way of my running!! Will have a couple of weeks off and see what its like then.  Hope youre continuing to feel better, love Margy xx