Driving after a lumpectomy

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

No. of entries: 6 | Posted on 24 Nov 2013 12:07

• Can anyone tell me how long it was before they could drive.  I had a lumpectomy and some sentinel nodes removed on Nov 6th.  My car insurance is happy for me to be guided by my physio/consultant,  but I'm not back until Dec 4th.

• Hi, hope you are feeling ok. I was told not to drive for 2 weeks after my op. Hope this helps xx
  • Hi Debj23, thank for your reply. I'll check with my physio in the week.
  • Hi Jan. I was told 4 to 6 weeks.  I think it depends on which side it is as well, mine was the left side and apparently that takes longer than the right, from what I was told.

I must confess I did give it a try after just over 3 weeks but didn't get far down the road and had to come back.  There was no strength there in the arm for changing the gears.

After that I waited for another week and it was ok on short journeys although it was another 2 or 3 weeks before I could manage the hand brake, I was having to lean around and use both arms for that.

Hope this helps a bit.  Good luck with it.

• Thanks for That Moonspeed, I've to have more surgery next week so my driving week be put back anyway.
  • Sorry to hear you need more surgery, Jan.

Good luck for next week.