Breast Cancer mets spread to Brain - any advice appreciated (X posted on Brain Cancer board)

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Breast Cancer mets spread to Brain - any advice appreciated (X posted on Brain Cancer board)

No. of entries: 2 | Posted on 07 Feb 2013 11:48
  • Evening everyone

This is a new board for me as I'm normally over on the Lung Cancer board due to my mother, however, I'm seeking some advice here, if possible. A very lovely friend has been living with Stage 4 breast cancer which had spread to her bones. However, after 2.5 years of a combination of chemo and a holistic approach, had managed to actually get it into remission. However, rather shockingly (as she's been so well and with absolutely no symptoms) the breast cancer seems to have metastasised in her brain with 6-7 small tumours just found there (also reoccured in her bones).

She's due to start whole-head radiotherapy next week as the first line of treatment, with gamma knife suggested as the second line. I just wondered if anyone had had any experience of breast cancer mets in the brain and if so what kind of treatment they may have been given? Or if anyone had had any experience of either of these forms of treatment?

Thanks very much in advance.

Diane

• I'm so sorry that your friend is suffering this wicked illness. My sister (who died of BC twenty years ago) had mets in the brain and had two courses of chemo. Times and treatments have changed a lot since then and with todays medicine she might have lived longer. The effect the brain mets had was to slowly close down various senses.

You may find it helpful to chat this over with one of the nurses here on this site. They operate Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm on freephone 0808 808 0000.

Best wishes

KateG

Click here to find out more

Page 1 of 1