surgery on Tuesday feeling scared

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

No. of entries: 19 | Posted on 12 Jan 2013 04:55

• Hello, I am having my 8mm cancer lump removed from my breast on Tuesday and I am feeling scared about everything. I suffer from anxiety and have found it has increased a lot since my diagnoses if anyone has had this procedure done could they please reassure me, I would be grateful for any feed back.
  • hi deb

i had a mascectomy in november it was  not nearly as bad as i had feared so im sure uyou will be fine other ladies will answer who have just had the lump out im sure.

jenny x

• Thanks Jenny, just so anxious.
  • you will be its natural im starting chemo on monday and im scared witless its the fear of the unknown are you staying in or home same day??

• Deb - the surgery itself really is easy and not very painful either, surprisingly so!  I had MX and had no pain on my scar area at all, only all around where I had my lymph nodes removed but that is not happening for you

• I was really scared about having my mx and anc but found that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and not as painful either you will be fine.  You will feel better when it is done and you've got rid of the little bugger.

I am having chemo on Tues was nervous of it but the ladies on here have reassured me and sort of want to get on with it as that will be one more step nearer to the finish line.

All the best for Tues be thinking about you

Hugs

Kiera x

• Hi Deb

Sorry you feeling so anxious. I am not an anxious person but have found out what that's like whilst having rads. I just seem to have developed it in the last run.

You don't need to worry at all about lumpectomy. I had that and two to three lymphs removed and that was the easiest part of this process for me. it's nothing that paracetamol can't sort out. Just bit uncomfortable in bed as you can't lie on that side and also I felt burnt quite badly which was the sensation of having nerves mucked about with. That went in 2/3 weeks. But don't worry you may not get that.

let us know how you get onCX

Sasha -hope you are ok I have been wondering how you are as haven't seen you post in a while. Myabe I just missed it xx

• Hi Debs , as our mac friends have said its natural to feel scared - we all like to be in the driving seat but we seem to be banned from driving on this rollacoaster. it's good though that you are sharing your feelings , I have felt just this act alone does help and seems to be a bit like letting the steam out of a pressure cooker. We are all here to listen and support, sending you hugs and determination.

Beevergirlxx

• hi debs  its the unknown that scares us if it helps i had a 40mm and snb remval last aug i stayed in hospital overnight went home with a drain in a nurse came out twice and the drain was removed 4 days after getting home not really painful just uncomfortable xx i,ve since had diep surgery but you are best just to take each treatment day by day as we are all different  but all the lovely ladies on here will help as much as they can i no they,ve helped me keep strong xx god bless caroline xx

• I am getting home the same day, which is great.
  • That's how I feel about it, just want the little bugger out.lol. Good luck with you chemo. Xxx
  • Hi again, they are doing they lymph node test with the blue dye but have said they don't think there is anything there, thanks for your support.x
  • Thank you, I will be strong as I can. Love and positive thoughts to you.xxx
  • Hi, I had a sentinel node biopsy with lumpectomy in September with the blue dye. I too suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and had been agoraphobic prior to my diagnosis. I was terrified of surgery also with all sorts of things running through my mind...what if this happens? What if that happens? But I promise you it is fine. I can't believe I did it sometimes but honestly it's not as bad as your mind is making you think it is. I laid on the table and the lovely medical team kept talking to me and then they said i would feel a sharp prick in my hand and I just went to sleep. I woke up before I knew it feeling a little groggy but I wasn't in any pain and felt very relaxed. I did have an oxygen mask on and a thing wrapped around my legs like a blood pressure monitor, that was to just keep the blood flowing to prevent blood clots. I was soon eating and although I felt a bit weak I was sent home a few hours later. I felt a bit washed out for about five days afterwards but again that's normal after surgery. Just rest lots and drink lots and remember your breathing. Hope this helps a little bit x
  • Hi Deb,

I am having the same op next Friday, a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. My lump is 10mm. I saw my consultant surgeon yesterday. She reassured me it is a small operation and filled me full of confidence about it. She told me my stitches will be dissolving ones and I wouldn't need a drain, and after a cup of tea and some toast I will be allowed home. I am 65 and had been worried about it, but now I am sad enough to be looking forward to it - to having the lump removed quickly and painlessly as soon as possible. I do know the nurses will give you a pill beforehand if you are very anxious, which will help calm your nerves - you can ask for one if they don't offer it.

The day before I have to go to have the radioactive stuff injected in my boob, which again I am assured is fairly painless - no worse than any other injection and it's a small needle. That is to help the surgeon locate the right sentinel lobes. On the morning of my op I have to have a thin wire inserted, which will help the surgeon locate the lump, because in my case it is buried quite deep in my breast and can't be felt on examination. Again, I'm not expecting this to be any worse than the initial biopsy I had.

Good luck, and after your op you may be able to come here and help reassure me before mine on Friday!! xxx