Over 60s

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Over 60s

No. of entries: 6 | Posted on 15 Oct 2012 08:17
  • Are there any other over 60s out there......I am 62 years old.  BCN tells me that this is considered young......

Just wondered if any other over 60s can tell me of their positive experiences.  You hear so much of the elderly and the NHS......sorry sleepless nights with my imagination running away with me!!!!

Lyn

To get through the hardest journey, we need only take one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping.

• Hi Lynne I'm 64yrs old I was 61when diagnosed also every thing moved fast I had my operation then started chemo then radiotherapy everyone was great, I did not feel I was being treat any different from any one else. Hope every thing goes well for you. Chris
    MC Smith
  • Hi Lynn,

My BCN also says I'm considered young... I'm 29!

BC seems to affect so many different people these days, it really cannot be seen as an "older person's" cancer.

I have my last chemo session on Friday this week and although it's been tough it is doable.

Love Jelly xx

http://thelittlestjojo.blogspot.co.uk/
  • I was 59 when I was diagnosed and am now approaching five years since diagnosis. I didn't consider myself young - quite the opposite lol! What a nice BCN!

Best wishes

KateG

Click here to find out more

• Hi Lynn,

Here's a news item from the BBC today about age discrimination in NHS healthcare - it states that most people with breast cancer are over 85 yet most of the breast cancer surgery is done on people 2 decades younger - ie still older than you. This month legislation has come into force to make age discrimination illegal within the NHS - from now on if anyone is prevented from any treatment based solely on their age they will be able to sue. Reading the article, it is clear that this is aimed at octogenarians and above - not spring chickens like you!

My browser won't allow me to copy and paste the link but if you go to the BBC News website and search for the headline entitled "Age should not effect surgery - report" you can read the whole thing.

Hope this helps

Yvonne

yvonnenewbold.blogspot.com

I've got cancer but cancer hasn't got me

• Thanks

Lyn

To get through the hardest journey, we need only take one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping.

Page 1 of 1