Medical Exemption Certificate

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

No. of entries: 13 | Posted on 21 May 2012 08:34

• Hi All

Just saw someone ask if prescriptions were free to anyone diagnosed and yes they are.

You need your doctor to complete the medical exemption certificate request form and then your card comes through in the post.

I have used mine a lot so if you haven't requested yours yet please do it ASAP as there has to be some perks for what we are all going through.

take care lovely ladies and remember keep smiling and we are all here to help if we can  xxxxxxxx

PS it's my birthday today but i am not letting my low immune week on chemo, no hair or anything else get me down as it is my special day to celebrate today............. xxxxx : -)) xxxxx

• Perhaps it shoudl be added that that medical exemption certificate lasts for 5 years from issue in the case of cancer patients.

PS.  Happy Birthday Saxxy and may you have many more!! :-)

• The medical exemption certificate also covers NHS dental treatment as I found out last week:-)

• Hi Son,

Didn't know that. How does that work? My dentist does private and also NHS treatments.

• I'm an NHS patient at the dentist and when I went to check out, I showed the card to the receptionist and asked if this also covered dental treatment.  She checked with the dentist and I walked out without having to pay - the only perk I've found so far of having BC!

• I think you will find it will cover eye tests too.  

• Hi Son,

Ok I will try because there are certain treatments that I have done with them through the NHS like removing teeth but when is for fillings I have gone through private so I will see as I am due for a check up. Will also check for eye test as well for contact lenses as I use them and have a direct debit for them. 

Any cost that this cover is welcome - only positive thing from BC.

Thanks

Susy xxx

• Hi Son

I have just called my dentist and asked this question and they said they have never had anyone use a medical exemption cert to cover NHS dental costs and have asked me to investigate. Is there anyway your dentist could advise the rest of us how we can get this at our dentists too? Many thanks Saxxy D

•  

Link below may help. I think it depends on whether you have an H2 or an H3 certificate

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Dentalcosts.aspx

Summary below

You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts, you are:

• aged under 18
    • under 19 and receiving full-time education
    • pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months
    • staying in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist
    • an NHS hospital dental service outpatient (however, you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges).

You also do not have to pay if, when the treatment starts, you are receiving:

• Income Support
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Pension Credit guarantee credit

or

• you are named on a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate or you are entitled to an NHS tax credit exemption certificate
    • you are named on a valid HC2 certificate

Find out more about the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS).

Partial help
    If your name is on a valid HC3 certificate, you may not have to pay for all your treatment. Checks are made on free and reduced cost treatment claims. If you say you have the right to free treatment when you do not, you may incur a penalty charge. 

Note
    You will not be exempt from paying because you receive: Incapacity Benefit, contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance, contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit savings credit, when paid on their own.

Medical conditions do not exempt patients from payment for dental treatment.

You will be asked to show your dentist written proof that you do not have to pay for all or part of your NHS treatment. You will also be asked to sign a form to confirm that you do not have to pay.

• That sounds like a cop out to me!!  There is a form you fill in and a box you tick for medical exemption and provide your cert no.   Depending upon what work needs doing (cosmetic work is usually not covered) you will get free or subsidised work done. What rubbish!!

• hi there, just wondered if any one knows what happens when your treatment is in Wales - we, fortunately, automatically get free prescriptions without filling in any forms but I didn't hear if that also coveres dental treatment and eye tests too - I too pay monthly for my contact lenses and tests so wonder if Ican claim some back? Also went to dentist shortly after finished my chemo for a check up and they knew I had just finished chemo but still paid.... Any answers gratefully received - did ring my bcn but they are off sick until monday!!!! thanks everyone Fiona

• On reading some of the above posts, I checked my card and I think I may have just got lucky and the receptionist didn't really know what she was looking at.  They'll probably catch up with me:-(

• Hi The letter I received with my card said that the medical exemption certificate covers prescriptions only, I have enquired with the Dentist and the Opticion and they confirmed that it does not cover these, it only covers prescriptions, please double check your letter that came with the card.

Pat