long haul flights

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

long haul flights

No. of entries: 3 | No.of favourites: 0 | Posted on 23 Jan 2010 07:16
  • Now that the end of active treatment is in sight, hubby has suggested we have a decent holiday around Easter time. He picked up the Virgin Africa brochure today and seems quite keen on a beach in Mombassa with a few days on a tented safari. My only slight concern is the risk of lymphodoema and DVT's caused by length of flight. Has anyone been told to avoid long haul flights? I vaguely recall surgeon mentioning something after surgery but not sure how long we need to avoid them for. Tess
    If life throws lemons at you, make lemonade.
  • Hi Tess,

I think you should be ok but ask your surgeon or Physical Therapist if you can be fitted for a compression sleeve.  I am supposed to be flying in May and my PT told me to make an appointment with her 6 weeks before flying so I can be fitted with one.  I am not in the UK but I would assume it wouldn't be a problem.

Lucky you, Mombassa sounds wonderful!

Julesx

• I don't have a physio I see - I might just e-mail the surgeon. The children will be very upset if we can't go. Tess
    If life throws lemons at you, make lemonade.
Page 1 of 1