Just had my follow up to WLE & ALND surgery and the Histo report has changed things somewhat.

• 13 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Hi all,

I had my surgery follow up yesterday and the histo report has changed things for me (Surgery was 27th April: WLE, 19 Lymph nodes cleared of which 2 contained metastatic carcinoma, largest node 28mm)

My consultant now recommends a mastectomy to Left breast as he found lots of  what he calls 'baby cancers' which could not be seen on MRI or Mammo. 

I've been offered a DIEP flap reconstruction at the same time, and am off to meet with the plastic surgeon today.

I think the length of the op is rather daunting (up to 8-9 hours) And as for recovery time, quite a while I imagine as the extra fat will be removed from the tummy. However, I have some extra to spare, so this may be a good thing in the long run:) 

Or I can just have the mastectomy and return at a later date for the recon.

I would love to hear some pros and cons from the forum?

PS, I'm a grandma, 65 years old and pretty active usually.

Thanks x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Londongal 

I would say don't worry about the length of the op if you are otherwise healthy, you'll be asleep! 

Only you can decide if you want to go flat for a while, I personally didn't want to and I had implants (because my surgeon didn't offer DIEP) and I was pleased I did and I haven't regretted it.

My only thought was, if you delay it you're going to get older and may not want more surgery in a year or two. 

• Thanks for the reply!

I met the plastic surgeon today and he made me feel very confident and I am very happy with him. We've pencilled in a date for surgery. 

My BCN urprised me afterwards by saying that there's a small possiblility or radiotherapy happening before the op, I think it's a new idea that is starting to be trialled. So that means I would get the rads first then the op would be pushed back a bit because of that, seems to be very unusual, I will wait to hear next week.

Londongal

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Londongal

Hi there,

I was offered reconstruction when I had my maestectomy but decided against it at the time. 4 months later and I've had a change if heart and will be having the same procedure as yourself (free tummy tuck - bonus!!) 

I have been told that I have to wait now until chemo and rads complete and it won't be until at leAst 6 months after final rads so looking like next year for me.  Don't know if that's standard timings but I got the impression it was.

Good luck.

Marie x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello, 

I'm about to have mastectomy and have a question. Have you done any research on breast reconstruction clinics & surgeons? 

Tkanks

Marta

• FormerMember

Hi  

i think whatever surgery you are having, whether it's a WLE or MX, it requires research. 

As you are already booked in for a mx I'm assuming you have met with your surgeon? be guided by him on what he suggests for reconstructive surgery. They will know what will work well and what will look good on your body shape and frame. Ask to see photos of the surgeons work. You need to be confident about where scars will be before you wake up and see them. Google your surgeon, find out all about him. You need to be confident With him. Depending upon where you are in the country you may not have an awful lot of choice. Breast cancer services within NHS hospitals are rated at each hospital and are available on line. 

i was treated in Torbay and we have a couple of mighty fine surgeons. Every woman I have met have been very pleased with the cosmetic outcome of surgery.

All the best with surgery

Julia X 

• FormerMember

Don't forget that as well as the Macmillan book on Reconstruction there is also lots of information at the Keeping Abreast website.

Do as much research as you can - it can be overwhelming, so when you have read everything, and you know what options are available to you, do ask here for patient experience, as they can vary widely.

• Hello,

I have only met the plastic surgeon at Charing Cross hospital in London and I feel confident that he is well quaiified and experienced in this surgery. His name is Navid Jallali.

Londongal

• Thank you Julia, and I have met the surgeon and I feel he will do a great job based on his qualifications and what I have Googled as well as talking to him yesterday. It's full steam ahead! 

Just one thing has come up.....a possibility of radiotherapy pre surgery , yes that's what they said! So the timings may change for me. I'll find out next week.

Londongal

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Londongal

Hello,

That sounds very interesting, radio before operation. I will ask my surgeon if this would work for me. I've read that radio can "kill" not only cancer but also new implanted tissue. 

Thanks

MK

• Hi MK,

I had a call today to let me know that I didn't fit the profile for the above mentioned trial. One reason being that radiotherapy is not definitely on my 'shopping list' ....fingers crossed I get away with not having to have it. We shall see.

Best wishes to you,

Londongal