Forums

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Nipple crusting

No. of entries: 3 | Posted on 04 Feb 2014 12:05
  • Hello :)

I was diagnosed with grade 3 triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma 29 October 2012. I had a wide local excision and sentinel  lymph node removal that showed no lymph node involvement. I had chemotherapy that finished late April 2013 followed by 15 sessions of radiotherapy that ended in June 2013.

The radiotherapy caused skin burning and peeling and I also realised around this time that I had crusting of the nipple of the breast I had the cancer in, the other breast nipple is fine. I picked out the crusting, which was painful. It seemed to slowly improve, but I still retain some crusting. I have read about Paget's disease of the nipple having crusting as a symptom, but, I am thinking mine has been caused by the radiotherapy. I will be mentioning it to the breast clinic next week when I go for a check up, but I was wondering if anyone else on this forum has experienced the same thing and had suspected or had it confirmed it was caused by radiotherapy treatment?

• Hi Tinadeem,

Yes, definitely a case of having it checked, and finding out what you can do to aid the recovery. 

Not sure the picking of the crust is such a good way forward though. I am just recalling when my babies had the crust on their scalp, the best thing to do was to apply baby creams. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Dorothee xx

Find info through Macmillan Booklets here

Believe in Better! xx 

Click here to find out more</

• I had a crusty nip with radiotherapy (and I picked it off too... ouch!) It cleared up within a couple of weeks of finishing RT and not come back since.

I'd never heard of a link between it and pagets - I would probably have got it checked out if I'd know that.

Hope it's better soon xxx

Page 1 of 1