Her2 +

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Her2 +

No. of entries: 10 | No.of favourites: 0 | Posted on 19 Jan 2013 10:34
  • Hi folks. Went for results yesterday. Good news is that margins were good & lymph nodes clear. Bad news is it was a 31 mm DCIS with a 16mm Grade 3, invasive ductal in the middle of it. It was Her2+ so I have to have chemo & Herceptin. Waiting to hear when I can see the Oncologist. Scared very scared.

Chodgy xx

• Hi. Hang on to the good news. Clear margin son lymph node involvement . The rest they can deal with. No it won't be the most pleasant experience of your life but it is as they told me my "insurance policy". The just in case, the just to be safe . It is a relatively short period of your life and the gain is longer term. So go for it. You might fear chemo... Just remember it is your friend... Once you are on the treadmill the time will fly and you will soon see the light at the end of the tunnel. Honest. Sue xxX
  • Hi Sue. Thanks so much for your reply. You're right, of course. My consultant said to think of a lawn with one nasty weed in the middle of it. You cut out the weed and although you're sure you got it all you put weed killer on the whole lot just to make sure. At the risk of sounding ridiculous when so much is at stake, yes I'm scared of how I will feel when I'm going through the chemo but what also scares me is losing my independence & having to rely on family & friends for everything. We live out in the sticks with no public transport. If I can still drive it will be ok or will I feel so crap I won't care?

Chodgy xx

• Hi Sue. Thanks so much for your reply. You're right, of course. My consultant said to think of a lawn with one nasty weed in the middle of it. You cut out the weed and although you're sure you got it all you put weed killer on the whole lot just to make sure. At the risk of sounding ridiculous when so much is at stake, yes I'm scared of how I will feel when I'm going through the chemo but what also scares me is losing my independence & having to rely on family & friends for everything. We live out in the sticks with no public transport. If I can still drive it will be ok or will I feel so crap I won't care?

Chodgy xx

• Hi. Apart from 2 weeks post MX I have driven, gone to work and managed to get out and about. Yes there MAY be side effects but they don't last all of the chemo cycle ( 3 weeks normally) and whilst there MIGHT be bad days , you will have good days too. You learn quickly to rest when you need to...... Then seize the days when you can get out more. I too am by myself and quite Independent so know where you are coming from. My brother and sister in law decamped to my place and I was grateful for their help ..... Honest I was!!!! But it was so nice when I got my place back to myself , and the dogs of course . So don't over worry , I am sure you will get on ok. Where there is a will ... There is a way . Xxx Sue xxX

Chodgy xx

• Hi Chodgy,

I also have a grade 3 invasive ductal that is HER2 positive. Mine was 10mm after the biopsy, and this may change. I am a little behind you. I only had my lumpectomy and SNB yesterday, results appointment due on 30th January, so an anxious wait ahead of me. I have already been told I will be having chemo and Herceptin, whatever the results show. I am scared, too, but have been told the Herceptin is a "wonder drug" and will deal with the little bugger. Just a shame it works better with chemo!

• Hi Sue. Thanks that is really encouraging, brilliant in fact. As soon as the snow clears I shall be out & about again.

Chodgy xx

Page 1 of 2 12Next 5 >