After lymph dissection and 2nd lumpectomy advice please

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

After lymph dissection and 2nd lumpectomy advice please

No. of entries: 6 | No.of favourites: 0 | Posted on 13 Dec 2012 06:48
  • Hi All, I had me 2nd lumpectomy and lymph node dissection (not total clearance) last Thursday. Am still a bit sore under arm but all in all pretty good. The district nurse came yesterday and said I can take a shower tomorrow and she will then put in a dressing but after that I will probably be OK, in July with my first lumpectomy I had it dressed for 3 weeks and didn't have a proper shower for 4. Question is , is it too soon to shower as stitches are dissolvable? The nurse is a bit lazy and I know doesn't want to come here on Sunday. Also after lymph node clearance when can I drive? Last time they said a month but actually the lumpectomy scar is fine and I have no pain there. Have meeting with surgeon on 21st for the results, will make for interesting Christmas. Carol
  • Hi Had a fill clearance and Mx on the right and they told me that I could drive when I felt comfortable after 2 weeks..............I drove short distances after 2 weeks - but not alone for the first couple of times And I was fine . They also told me that a quick shower was also okay after 4 days but no soaking in the bath or long hot showers. I did have dressings on though which were removed after 2 weeks. I am almost 5 weeks post op and apart from a little fluid around the area am physically good. My stitches were also dissolvable.

Lyn

To get through the hardest journey, we need only take one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping.

• Thanks Lynn, that's reassuring to know. I'm going to do Christmas shopping on-line today! Short shower tomorrow and maybe do the tree on Saturday when husband and son are skiing, then I won't be too bitter:). What day do you get your results? I have mine on the 21st 3.34pm. Carol
  • Glad I could offer some reassurance.........I loved it when I had my first long hot shower, washed my hair without having to stand outside of the spray etc.........I have all of my results now and have been put onto hormone therapy........getting Christmas organised as well.....tree up, presents - on the whole - bought and family are taking care of food and supermarket shopping. They have spoiled me, and I am lucky to have them.......it's sometimes difficult to let someone else take charge, especially in your own kitchen........but they really want to do it. Good luck with your results and let me know how you get on

Lyn

To get through the hardest journey, we need only take one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping.

• Hi Eider

Glad you got home through the snow.

I was told not to drive for 3 weeks although could have done. Perhaps it's more to do with insurance as well. In case you had accident you may not be covered.

I was told shower would be ok after 3 days by bc nurse but I smothered myself in dressings so didn't get it too wet. Then changed them myself after. The district nurse said don't let the wet stay near wound pat dry. I was having baths and not obviously getting it wet but she said be careful as even steam heat under dressing could cause infection. The main thing is drying off scar after and not having it hot and humid where bacteria can develop under dressing.

Cxx

• Thanks Kitty, will be giving it a go before the nurse comes tomorrow morning. Have decided to do all shopping on-line (hope I am not too late) and the turkey will be coming from local butcher. Lots of love Carol
Page 1 of 1