Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Medical Exemption Certificate

No. of entries: 13 | Posted on 24 May 2012 07:03

    Link below may help. I think it depends on whether you have an H2 or an H3 certificate


    Summary below

    You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts, you are:

    • aged under 18
    • under 19 and receiving full-time education
    • pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months
    • staying in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist
    • an NHS hospital dental service outpatient (however, you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges).

    You also do not have to pay if, when the treatment starts, you are receiving:

    • Income Support
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Pension Credit guarantee credit


    • you are named on a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate or you are entitled to an NHS tax credit exemption certificate
    • you are named on a valid HC2 certificate

    Find out more about the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS).



    Partial help
    If your name is on a valid HC3 certificate, you may not have to pay for all your treatment. Checks are made on free and reduced cost treatment claims. If you say you have the right to free treatment when you do not, you may incur a penalty charge. 

    You will not be exempt from paying because you receive: Incapacity Benefit, contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance, contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit savings credit, when paid on their own.

    Medical conditions do not exempt patients from payment for dental treatment.

    You will be asked to show your dentist written proof that you do not have to pay for all or part of your NHS treatment. You will also be asked to sign a form to confirm that you do not have to pay.


  • That sounds like a cop out to me!!  There is a form you fill in and a box you tick for medical exemption and provide your cert no.   Depending upon what work needs doing (cosmetic work is usually not covered) you will get free or subsidised work done. What rubbish!!

    Find the best opportunities you can in any adversity and you will survive.

  • hi there, just wondered if any one knows what happens when your treatment is in Wales - we, fortunately, automatically get free prescriptions without filling in any forms but I didn't hear if that also coveres dental treatment and eye tests too - I too pay monthly for my contact lenses and tests so wonder if Ican claim some back? Also went to dentist shortly after finished my chemo for a check up and they knew I had just finished chemo but still paid.... Any answers gratefully received - did ring my bcn but they are off sick until monday!!!! thanks everyone Fiona

  • On reading some of the above posts, I checked my card and I think I may have just got lucky and the receptionist didn't really know what she was looking at.  They'll probably catch up with me:-(

  • Hi The letter I received with my card said that the medical exemption certificate covers prescriptions only, I have enquired with the Dentist and the Opticion and they confirmed that it does not cover these, it only covers prescriptions, please double check your letter that came with the card.















Page 2 of 2 < Prev 512