Forums

Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

FEC-T versus Docetaxel side effects

No. of entries: 16 | Posted on 25 Jan 2012 10:29
  • Thanks Jenny,

I have had my Taxotere (Docetaxel) first, the first one floored me with fatigue and I had the most excruciating back and hip joint pain on the 6th day after chemo.  I don't know if this is similar to the pains you had with FEC but I could barely walk, lay still, sit or anything in fact and actually cried with the pain which only lasted a couple of days.  My Oncologist then prescribed Gabapentin to be taken for 7 days from the first day after chemo and I sailed through the last cycle with nothing but tiredness.  I am hoping the next cycle will be the same. 

It does seem then, that the FEC cycles create more problems and side effects than Docetaxel, so fingers crossed if I can get through the T the FEC won't bother me either.  I will mention the diclofenic to my onc next week,  if I am one of those people that the drugs affect neuropathically then maybe he will pre-empt the situation and agree to prescribe that when I start FEC.

When I was first diagnosed, it was the surgery I was dreading but actually, it seems so superficial in relation to dealing with the drugs!

Find the best opportunities you can in any adversity and you will survive.

• Hi

My mum is currently having fec-t chemo, she too seemed fine with fec part slightly sicky feeling but able to go out and about however the taxatore 1st session was altogether different experience!

No one had warned her of pains, she was in agony unable to walk with pains in legs and then pain throughout whole body she saw gp who said take paracetamol this obviously didnt even come close to touching the pain. she then was given co codamol and ibrufen this seemed to help but she was bed ridden which was scary for her and us as I have never seen her look so poorly. She was imagining the worst if only they had pre warned her of possibilty of pains they had only mentioned pins and needles sensation she would of been prepared.

She has just had 2nd taxatore on monday so we are keeping everything crossed that the SE dont hit as hard this time they started approx 3 days post treatment and apparantly your immmune system drops quicker as well.

Wishing you all a speedy recovery, my love and thoughts go to you and your families...xxx

• Heron70,

PLEASE PLEASE tell your mum to ask for gabapentin before the chemo (I usually see my onc the day before and he prescribes anything I need).  I was crying with the back and joint pain and could barely walk to the bathroom and even sitting on the toilet was excruciating (TMI I know!) but felt absolutely nothing the last time because I took the gabapentin.  I tried ibuprofen last time too but the pains are not caused by inflammation or muscle tissue.  It is a neuropathic pain (it affects the nerves hence the excruciating pain).  She does not need to suffer the next time.

Thanks for your input, I am worrying less about the FEC treatments now - seems they are mild in comparison to T.

Good luck. X

Find the best opportunities you can in any adversity and you will survive.

• Tinkers

Thank you so much for the advice, my Mum spoke to her onc and he seemed to dismiss idea for different pain relief said that its fine to carry on with paracetamol grrrr but I will pass on your great tip.I have just spoken to her and at present she seems fine, long may it continue.

Im sorry to hear you suffered so much before the right medication was given to you but thankful they gave you something so you no longer had to go through such agony. you did make me chuckle with your tmi thanks for the smile xxx Good luck with your fec treatment I hope you have no SE ands I think your right it hopefully it is milder Keep fighting you will beat this xxxxxxxxx

• Hi there This is my first posting, but I found this thread to be quite reassuring to me. Like you, my Mum is currently receiving the same treatment. The first of which started last Thursday. She was fine for first couple of days but has been bed ridden pretty much since Sunday due to pains in muscles and joints, lethargic and can't face food. It's scary to see her unwell when she was fine before treatment. I'm hoping we will start seeing a slight improvement in next few days. Her next visit to onc is 8.2.12 so may enquire re Gabapentin. Hope you Mum improves. X
  • Hi Lynneh

I am sorry to hear your mum is suffering too :-( I spoke with my mum today and the pains have kicked in again, at the moment just in her knees. I have asked her to ask about Gabapentin too as it sounds like what is needed from tinkers great advice I just hope they both can find something that makes them feel better its heartbreaking to see them suffer.Wishing your mum a speedy recovery x 

• Saw Mum yesterday and she looked awful. Pains appeared to be subsiding in body, but she was v reluctant to eat. Ended up speaking to Chemo Unit for advice, they were really cooperative. So now persuaded Mum to eat little and often. She looked much improved today, so hoping she will start building up again in preparation for next session on 9.2. At least w have a fair idea what to expect after future sessions, but will enquire about options available so she does not suffer unnecessarily. Speedy recovery to your Mum, gotta keep strong. X
  • Hi sorry to hear your mum is having such a rough time. When I had my first chemo I ended up back in hospital cause I felt so bad. I am now about to have my fifth session and things are a lot easier. It may sound strange but you do get into a routine. Part of my routine is to take my medication before the nasty symptoms start to kick in. I also eat little and often even if I am not hungry and drink lots and lots of water - about 3pints a day. This seems to flush all the nastys out of my system and I feel a lot better. All the best xx Sunny chair
    Sunny chair
Page 2 of 2 < Prev 512