just diagnosed

Bowel (colon & rectum) cancer

A group for anyone affected by colon, rectal or small bowel cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

just diagnosed

No. of entries: 24 | Posted on 08 Jan 2013 01:41
  • Hi, all

My 1st time posting, found all the wrong sites before i found my way here 

so have been scared to hilt 

Im still waiting for my mri 18th jan  and cat (tbc) scans so do not have a  plan in place 

Im still a little shocked but im hanging on to the words of the colonoscopist , who said at the time, it 

looked like cancer but the early stages, hope he was right 

Biopsy came back as adenocarcinoma anyone know much about this?

Im worried how my scans will come back 

it seems since my colonoscopy that iv had every pain in every place you can imagine 

Any feed back appreciated 

just one day at a time

• Hi Paul,

Sorry that you have found yourself here like so many others.

I was diagnosed on the 2nd March 2012 and still remember it like yesterday what you are going through. At the moment you are at the worst point which in the not knowing, not knowing how bad things are in regards to the size (staging) of the cancer and if it has spread to other organs, but this is what the scans are for.

Once you have the scans and you know what you are up aganist you will feel at ease a bit more. In regards to the pain I know the feeling, I'm 38 fit a non smoker not a serious drinker and failry active so bowel cancer was the last thing I thought about as I'm never ill. Now that I have cancer I feel every ache and pain but that is just the worry about cancer, every ache or pain I get I convince myself that I have cancer in another part of my body with the last pain I had turing out to be just hemorrhoids but that is how my mind works now.

Also, one word off advice is to stick to websites like Macmillan, Beating Bowel Cancer and Cancer Research as Google is never your friend when you have cancer as the information is either very old or incorrect.

Regards

Richard.

• Hi Paul, 

I am very sorry that you have found yourself on this website. However, you have found the correct site - you will find lots of practical advice and emotional support. You are at the worst stage at the moment - when you have been given an initial diagnosis that you have a tumour (adenocarcinoma) and you are in shock.   I was 44 when I was diagnosed last year as a non smoker, teetotaller who tried to keep relatively fit and slim and did not eat a lot of red meat. 

Take the good news that it appears that you have caught it early and therefore it is unlikely that it has spread. You will feel a lot better when you have the treatment plan and then also when you start treatment as at least then you will be doing something to fight back. 

When you find out what is the treatment plan you will be able to ask lots of questions from people on this site who have gone through all the types of treatment, whether chemotherapy, radiotherapy, combined radiotherapy and chemotherapy, or surgery. You will be able to receive lots of practical advice on how to deal with each of these types of treatment. 

I also experience lots of aches and pains. In my case this could be as a result of chemotherapy, but it could also just be that I always experienced such aches and pains as part of normal life but now I am so much more conscious of these aches and I worry about them more now. 

I wish you the very best of luck with the scans. Please let us know how you get on, and what treatment is recommended to you. 

Matt

Matt

• Many thanks guys 

iv Just got to get on with it, carry on as normal, and live each day, seems ill have a busy time ahead

Paul

just one day at a time

• Paul, 

You asked about bowel cancer spreading to the bones. To my knowledge, the main place where bowel cancer spreads to is the liver and lungs. There may be some cases where bowel cancer spreads to the bones. Others may be able to confirm. 

Regards

Matt

Matt

• Hi Paul,

I'm sorry that you have need to be on this site, it can't be easy and you can't help but worry. I do hope your scans come back with positive news for you.  With regards to your question about bowel cancer spreading to the bones, yes it can - my husband's bowel cancer spread to the bones in his back but that was treated fairly successfully with radiotherapy.

Regards

Debbie

Debbiex

• Again many thanks, for the replies, paranoia seems to be my worst enemy lol

Every time i feel anything i think its cancer, 

Paul

just one day at a time

• Hello Paul ....

Welcome to this site as this is the best place to be for advice and emotional support !

Google etc is not good at this time and as my Oncologist said it is often out of date and wrong. It is so easy to read something and scare yourself - this site does not do that but tells it as it is.

I was diagnosed on 21 Dec - not long ago -  with a rectal tumour which they think is ealry stage 3 or possibly stage 2.

I know 100 % how you are feeling. It does, believe me, feel easier after a while. After 2 weeks I am now carrying on as normal and not dwelling on it continuously as I was before. At the beginning that is easier said than done. First thing in the morning was the hardest time I found but as the morning went on I would feel alot better. For me it was all over Christmas too and it all felt a bit unreal at times.

It's great you have the support of you girlfriend as you said - and she may like this site too :)

I  think it is such a SHOCK  and the shock does ease. I know that now. I'm sure you will feel the same.

Telling people was sometimes difficult as they appeared so shocked initially - and it almost as if I was comforting some of them ? ! But again - it becomes easier - as you say - One day at a time.

As the others have said it is hard waiting for scans and results but from what you have said it sounds promising and at an  early stage.

I feel better now I  have a treatment plan of combined chemoradiotherapy and surgery in a few months. Will start the therapy in 2-3 weeks.

You have the right attitude of one day at a time. Not to worry is easy to say ..... but as others have said too this part between sacnss and results is a difficult time.

Keep in touch with us all on here - so many people are happy to support you.

Very Best Wishes :)

Lee

..... Lee 

Page 1 of 3 123Next 5 >