Now have Liver Mets

Bowel (colon & rectum) cancer

A group for anyone affected by colon, rectal or small bowel cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Now have Liver Mets

No. of entries: 4 | Posted on 16 Nov 2012 02:48

Now have Liver Mets

• Hi everyone,

I have now started RadioChemo this week, 5 sessions down, 23 to go. All going well so far, and hope to be finished on 19th December, in time for Christmas holidays.

Have seen the Onc this morning, as had a mid way CT scan before RadioChemo started. She has now told me that the 'suspicious' area on my liver appears to be liver mets, as the area has shrunk in response to the Oxy/Cape treatment I was on for 12 weeks before RadioChemo. Now looks like I will have to have an operation for the liver in the New Year, as well as bowel surgery in Mar/Apr 2013. Has anyone else gone through this?

cmbdolphin

• Hello cmbdolphin, Sorry you have liver mets but better that they are found and dealt with. My husband had liver surgery a few months after his bowel surgery. He had over 50% of his liver removed and it was a long operation but had by far the fastest recovery time for him and his liver regenerated really quickly. Good luck with your treatments and glad you are getting a bit of a break over Christmas. Hiloa
  • Hi Hiloa,

Thank you for your reply, it seems from your profile that your husband and I have a lot in common. I too was 48 when the symptoms came on, and by time of diagnosis 5 months later, the ripe old age of 49.

Cant say Im looking forward to have 2 operations instead of the one I had geared myself up for in the Spring. However, at least the Onc says that the 'suspicious' area has reacted the chemo, and with me being on a further 4 1/2 weeks chemo up to Christmas, it will hopefully shrink it further.

Like your husband, I was initially told that there were some nodes on my lungs, but since the diagnosis in July they haven't mentioned anything more about them, what they will be doing with them, and to be honest, Im just to scared to ask any questions at the moment iin case I hear something I don't want to hear.

I hope things are going well with your husband's treatment.

cmbdolphin

• Hi cmbdolphin,

I wish it could be more pleasant similarities you could be sharing.

If your liver mets have been shrinking, 4 1/2 weeks more and hopefully they will be even smaller.  Also the chemo stays in your body a while after treatment is complete so even longer for the drugs to work.  

If it is any comfort, H's (his nickname, not short for husband) lung mets also responded to the chemo but I know what you mean about being scared of asking questions sometimes.  

The operations aren't pleasant but H has come through all of his without any major dramas and the pain control regime was so good that after a bit of tweaking to get the drug balance right he was kept comfortable while recovering.  

I hope you're not suffering too many unpleasant side effects with your chemo,

Hiloa