DISABILITY LIVING ALLOWANCE

Bowel (colon & rectum) cancer

A group for anyone affected by colon, rectal or small bowel cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

No. of entries: 15 | Posted on 03 Aug 2012 09:59

• i APPLIED FOR THIS BENEFIT AND HAD THE FOLLOWING REPLY TODAY:

Although you have walking difficulties and need help with personal care, to be entitled to DLA you must satisfy the DLA conditions for three months and then be expected to satisfy them for six months from the date your award could start. Therefore you must need help for at least nine months.  You first satisfied the DLA conditions on 15.02.2012 but your needs are likely to reduce so you will not satisfy the DLA conditions when the nine months end on 14.11.2012. Therefore you are not entitled to mobility and care. 

I made my decision using the information about your illnesses and dissabilities from:

your claim form

the extra information you gave us

your GP dated 29.06.2012

current treatment

medication

test results

symptoms

I have also been refused sickness benefit because I have a mortgaged house which I rent out therefore have capital I am told.

My 87 yr. old was refused direct payment for his care because Birmingham Council are insisting that £2.457.00 be paid back which was money paid to my mum for her care and apparently she should not have been in receipt of this every time she was in hospital during the five years when she was ill and on dialysis. She died last year. The Council are now refusing payment to my dad because money is owed by a deceased person. We did not know about this rule and nobody told us e.g. social worker, or hospital staff.  

So, no sickness benefit, no DLA for me, and no direct payments to my dad.

This is why I paid tax and nat. ins for 43 years and my dad for 47 yrs. 

Don't you just love the unfair system in this country.

My oncologist nurse told me there will be times when I won't have energy to get up and make a cup of tea for myself and yet the DLA are saying that my needs are likely to reduce. What a joke!

I feel like murdering somebody and feel so upset.

• Jody

You got get Macmillan into this - you do qualify but you victim of governamet get tough on benefit initiative

I get DLA nad ESA I got mortgage and savings house has equity

Neither DLA or ESA means tested !

I am 8 months post op my backaside is still sore and feels like it joined together 

My hands tingle i drop stuff i cant tie laces - my feet feel like i wearing 8 pairs of sox my lower l imbs ache with pain - i cant go up stairs i get out breath

I am disabled and wil be for while I have had no probs in getting benefit

Appeal ask for review - you mist fill in forms based on worst day you have not best day - i dint lie but i made sure i was eleigble as most days im waste of space physically

I stopped chemo 2 months ago yet i still suffering after efects whoch may l;ast a year

• Sorry bout spelling it my typing my hands are fuddled

• Sorry about the negative decision.  You can appeal the decision re DSA. Worth calling the Macmillan helpline - or speaking to CAB - for advice on doing this.

• I honestly am giving up with this unfair system.  I don't have just my own mortgaged house but another one as well which I rent out.  I am also short of some nat.ins. for year 2011 because I gave up work to look after my mum. She died on 12.08.2011 and then it took me a few months to get back into my self employed work again and then I fell ill, so this is another reason why I can't get ESA, but I have paid nat.ins. for 43 years previous to this. They only look at the previous 2 yrs. of nat.ins contribution and not the many years before that.  As for the DLA., I just don't have the energy to battle with Government departments any more.  I can't get through to the CAB via the phone (they just don't ever answer the phone)  and to stand in queue for hours on end  to see them personally is impossible for me.  

I have just had a good cry and am going to bed.  Tomorrow we are doing a 12 month memorial service for my mum and I have to be at the graveyard, then Church and after a meal for 70 people. It's been a hectic day today and with the news that I am not entitled to anything has made me extremely upset. Also, my mobile which my son bought for me brand new is only a week old and  faulty and I have to send it back to Amazon.  Constant bloody paperwork, form filling, letter writing, phone calls.  I am sick of it all. But, thanks anyway for your advice and kind words.

• I was selfemployed and paid in for 40 plus year i got esa and dla as i said 

Neever been porblem 

david

• I was my mum's carer for five years.  The first three years she didn't claim anything and neither did I.  In the latter two years she received direct payments which means the money went to her and she gave it to me.  I had to complete invoices every month and submit it to the Finance Dept., to show that I had the money for her care.   It was only £126.00 per week and it cost me at least £40.00 p.w. in petrol travelling backwards and forwards to hospital and her house constantly twice a day. During this time I worked part time.

In the latter months of her life I gave up my job as she needed intensive 24 hour care and this is when I didn't pay nat. ins.  It was just a few months in 2011 but I have always paid since 1963. I warned my accountant that this may be a problem in the future and asked him to sort it out for me.  He wrote a letter and never had a reply and it was then just forgotten about. 

I hear what islander is saying.  He was self employed, has savings, and managed to get ESA and DLA.  Unfortunately this is not the case for me.  And, I feel gutted and extremely upset.

I stayed in hospital for 14 nights and have had a  cancerous tumor removed with 1 lymph node affected and no stoma bag. Perhaps the DLA think this is not good enough, yet my GP thinks I should not work. I can't anyway as I have  now lost all my customers and I don't think anybody is going to employ me now.

I know of a man who gets DLA because he has something wrong with his eye.  I can't see anything wrong with his eye. Apparently he damaged the eye in his own country whilst driving trams.  This man works full time here drives a BMW and told me he doesn't pay road tax because he is in receipt of DLA.  His partner claims all the benefits under the sun as a single person. They are not married but live together and are in their 40's. She has a daughter from previous marriage and gets council tax reduction, tax credit, child benefit - he gets DLA and I know she works a lot cash in hand besides her own permanent job. I could go on and on but there is no point.

Thanks folks for putting up with my ranting.

All the best

• Hi Jody Sorry to hear you are having these problems. However you need to do as David suggested go to Your local citizens advice or welfare rights, DLA usually Take notice of your Doctors report unlike ESA, DLA Is also paid to people who work in the form of Disability working Allowance so something is not quite Adding up with your claim. Yo need to put on the form how you illness Effects you on your worse days. Tell the DLA you wish to appeal, and take the form to one of the above If you are not well enough to go to them, they will do a home appointment. You will not be the first person who has been initialy refused, but persevere And keep appealing. Most of the refusals are due to the way the form has Been filled in, which sounds to me is your problem especially as your Doctor Is saying you are unable to work. Anyway hope you get it sorted out you certainly do not need this worry, along With all the worry of this crap illness. Best wishes Peter W
  • Thank you Peter. I will try to appeal when I am well enough on the rare occasion. 

I do think I filled in the form correctly though.  My GP is a waste of space.  I read the report she sent. to the DLA. You cannot read her writing and the answers were literally in two or three word sentences.She signed and dated the report 17.05.2012 and said I did not go to see her for a long time which is incorrect.  She sent the report off end of June so it must have been sitting on her desk for a month.

She recently gave me a prescription for sickness tablets which the chemist told me is discontinued.

I asked the receptionist for the doctor to call me so I can discuss this with her and she never did.

When I went to her five times in Feb/March with pain she fobbed me off with pain killers with no proper examination and refused to send me for a scan. In the end I went abroad and got the cancer diagnosis there. 

To conclude:  I have no faith in my GP and cannot be bothered to change doctors now in my condition.

I have no faith in this unfair system either. 

But, hey!  I am alive and kicking and my three sons are buying me food and that for now is all that matters.

Thank you.

• Hi Jody Sorry that your Doctor is little help, although I am not Surprised. Mine was little use either, kept me hanging on for nine months Before a referral to the Hospital. Assured me it was piles, went in for them to be banded Ended up as rectal cancer, T3 N2 permenant Stoma operation 6 weeks chemo radiation as the tumour was inoperable, colon and rectum removed then Another 6 months chemo all good fun but least I am still hear 18 months following Diagnosis. Anyway enough of me, sorry you are having such problems, If your Dr is little help where you given a Macmillan nurse At the hospital, or a colorectal nurse, start with them, explain how you feel And the problems you are having, and get them to write you a report Or write to your Dr. It's outrageous that people have to go through This when dealing with cancer, I know GP's have little experience Dealing with cancer patients, but for the money they are paid its about Time they did. Anyway good luck and hope you feeling a little better soon Best Wishes Peter W
  • Yes, I was given a Macmillan nurse but she races around and looks extremely busy with so many people to see to that I don't feel like asking her anything as I can see she is stressed out. She is not exactly going to sit with me and go through the DLA appeal procedure with me - is she. 

Whenever I go in for the blood test followed by an appointment with the oncologist doctor I wait around literally all day. My appointment is at 10.00 a.m. tomorrow and I will be lucky if I get out by 3.00 p.m.

If I ask for a pass to get out of the car park without having to pay I am told a pass is only given to people when they go to the hospital for treatment so I have to pay car parking charges.

I will have to try and get some customers in and start working.  I have had two inquiries this week. I am a driving instructor This is just unbearable. I've worked since 1969 and not 1963 as my previous post, paid tax and nat ins since, and now nothing.  

I cannot believe how unfairly I have been treated from every angle. 

I feel like getting my story in the newspapers which I probably will eventually.

• HI, just wanted to say, I was turned down for DLA and I appealed against the decision, it was about 4 months later and I was then awarded it and it got backdated for the 4 months, so it was great getting a big sum all in one go. 

Keep trying, I have been getting it for 3 years now without a problem.

Jo x

• Thanks Joe,

Your profile tells me that you are so much more in a bad way than me and perhaps this is why you got the benefit.

I was stage 3 cancer, 1 lymph node involved and now chemotherapy as a preventative measure and no stoma bag.

To be honest, I have gone past caring.  Let the Government keep the money and give it to people who arrive at Heathrow claiming they have nothing.  

All the best to you girl. You look lovely on your photo.