Bowel cancer ribbon colour

Bowel (colon & rectum) cancer

A group for anyone affected by colon, rectal or small bowel cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Bowel cancer ribbon colour

No. of entries: 8 | Posted on 20 Apr 2010 03:59
  • Hi,

This is a slightly random question but I hope it's ok to ask... I know that breast cancer has a pink ribbon, and I believe prostate cancer is a blue ribbon, so I'm just wondering if there's a ribbon colour for bowel cancer?

Thanks in advance.

All the best,
    KDx2

• I have heard it is orange but who decided? A b cancer nurse said to me that it should be brown with red spots. I thought that was a bit gross!

Jen X

Jen XX

• Thanks Jen. Orange eh? Definitely better than brown with red spots! :-D

I don't know who decides these things. Maybe it comes from the WHO or maybe it's just the force of marketing ie someone tries a colour out and it gets passed around through word of mouth until it becomes true. It's certainly an interesting question.

Thanks again.

KD

• Hi

A trawl through a few awareness ribbon websites, mostly American trade establishments not too surprisingly, seems to indicate that Dark Blue and Brown have about equal association with Colon Cancer and Colorectal Cancer.  Dark blue seems to have more alternative associations while Brown only seems to have anti-tobacco as a fellow traveller.

Make what you will of that :-) .

aidee

• :-)  Thanks aidee. Really appreciate your response.

My research gave a similar result. I think the blue is a nicer choice, but I really do wonder how a colour comes about - I guess the Americans must generally take the lead on it.

Anyway, I think in this case I'll have to settle for an undefinitive answer.

Thanks again.

KD

• Hi I am new here and  browsing around and found this question,, looking around the web there are quite a few sites and some conflict with other in regard to the different colours, in this case it seems to be Blue, this site may help you.

http://www.trinitylondon.com/awareness-ribbon-meanings.asp

At some point I may write something about my Brother in Law Paul who has colorectal cancer.

Ray

• Hi kdx2,

i wanted the answer to this only this weekend as i was doing a female charity walk for cancer reasearch and i didnt want to dress up in pink, certainly not my colour lol, i also came up with brown or blue, but thought brown for bowel cancer was yuk and unimaginative that i'd give it a miss, really bowel and brown - they obviously had a serious sense of humour or a grudge ;). As for the blue, i felt no one would have any idea what cancer i was trying to represent, so i opted for a pink t shirt, and a sign on my back saying i was doing this event for bowel cancer. Obviously reading this post and struggling to find an easy answer, it appears that our cancer ribbon is not widely known and this needs to change, its not all about pink pink pink. Can the ribbon colour be changed and if so, who would decide this ??

thanks guys

mandy xxx

• Well done on your walk Mandy.

I know what you mean about the pink...is it wrong that I feel a bit annoyed that "womens cancers" seem to get all the publicity? Maybe we should mount our own campaign for bowel cancer? I quite like polka dots, what about red spots on a white background? Brown is just too grim!

Kate

Page 1 of 1