Surgery is looming!

Bowel (colon & rectum) cancer

A group for anyone affected by colon, rectal or small bowel cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Surgery is looming!

No. of entries: 12 | No.of favourites: 0 | Posted on 16 Nov 2012 01:51
  • Actually, I am really looking forward to it and it cannot come quick enough now. I go in on Sunday and will have my surgery on Monday when hopefully, they will cut away this horrible alien type thing I have inside me. That's how I see it, it's like carrying an alien eeeek!

I'm just on to send everyone positive vibes. I'll probably not be on for a while so I hope you are all doing ok.

Pam, I have the make-up and straightners packed!! Hope you are chilling out a bit getting yourself prepared for the next round. I know you'll find the strength for it, you are such a courageous person ... as is everyone here.

I actually feel like this is the beginning of my fight now and I am more than determined to win this battle.

I'll be back! Take care everyone.

Love Jackie xxx

• Hi Jackie,

Lovely to hear from you, am glad you are being so positive it will help you get over all this better, you are the couageous one.

Am so glad you have the make up and straightners packed expect you to be using them soon after the op ha. I will be thinking of you and hoping you are behaving yourself.

Am ok atm just been away for a few days, was lovely, am going to enjoy these next couple of months.

Sending you a big hug and very positive vibes, and yes you will win this battle like I will, and you will be back.

Love Pam xxx

• Good luck Jackie, all the best to you for your surgery and recovery - get rid of that alien!

• Hi Jackie

I wish you all the very best for Monday and hope you have a speedy recovery. As a carer of someone still recovering from a full / permanent resection I would say - give yourself time to recover.   We all like to think of ourselves as superhuman, which I have no doubt you are, however if you suffered major trauma after being hit by bus you wouldn't expect to be completely healed  within 4 weeks. My point is this is major trauma, although inflicted by someone who knows what their doing so take it slow.

I am sure 2013 will be more positive for everyone, it has been an "anus horibilis" (pun intended) here and if it hadn't been for our 2 babies I think I would have lost the plot by now.

Big hugs being sent your way.

Danni

• Hi Jackie, 

Very best of luck with your surgery and winning the battle. I like your analogy of the alien!

You take care of yourself and recuperate gently. 

Matt xxx

Matt

• I am the wife of a husband with bowel cancer. He has surgery in 10 days time and i go from being glad there is surgery to dreading how he will feel and recover. When he is better he has to have lung surgery to remove another small tumour. Currently he is well and continuing to ride for an hour on his bike climbing hills and challenging himself , he doesn't feel ill so the surgery is going to hit like a hammer.What is the best I can do to help himthrough this?

duck

quackers

• Quackers, Just a quick message of encouragement and positive vibes. Yes the imminent surgery is worrying and daunting. However it's a necessary part of your husbands treatment. Try to ensure your hubby manges to eat nutritious foods over these last few days before being admitted. If he's not eating, ask the district nurses to get him nutritional supplements like fortijuices or fortisips or give him things like buildups out complain. This will help his wounds heal better and also help his recovery as he'll be abit stronger. You don't mention if your husband is having keyhole or open abdominal surgery. Obviously keyhole recovery times are quicker but its still major surgery. If he is going to have his surgery on a unit that's using the enhanced recovery programme, they'll have him out of bed either the same day or the following day, sat in the chair and taking a few steps. The also give special drinks on the morning if the surgery and on return fom theatre to build the patient up as they don't want to eat straight away. But they do get eating quicker too. On discharge ask for a few cartons if fortisips and fortijuices for times when he won't feel like eating at home. Then he'll still get nutrition without you worrying too much about that. Make sure his pain is controlled as he'l be able to do more if not in pain. Make sure he gets plenty of rest. I'm sure you'll look after him well and he'l soon be on the road to recovery from his op. don't forget you'll have the district nurses keeping an eye on things as well and report any concerns to your gp. Then the lung issue canbe tackled. Lots of love and positive thoughts for you both xxx
    Sharon
  • Duck

Hi, I had bowel surgery 8 weeks ago for a rectal cancer. I new beforehand that I was going to have a bag, if that is something your chap is having then tell him not to worry they are a doddle and nothing to feel upset about. It was the one thing that worried me most, and you dont need to. Like your husband I ride and also run and made sure I was as fit as possible prior to surgery and it sure paid off. Iwas up and walking the day after surgery (6.5 hours) and was out in 7 days, it would have been 5 if it had not been for walls being demolished at home!!!

I was back on my bike for an hour 4 weeks after surgery and all is well - never felt poorly and feeling quite fit and well.

I had my first session of chemo yesterday and currently feel no side effects from that.

I hope all goes well, tell him to get over the bowel issue, get strong again and then tackle the lung.

All the best Bantam Paul

Bantam Paul

Page 1 of 2 12Next 5 >