Re: T3N1 Adenocarcinoma

Bowel (colon & rectum) cancer

A group for anyone affected by colon, rectal or small bowel cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

T3N1 Adenocarcinoma

No. of entries: 12 | No.of favourites: 1 | Posted on 11 Mar 2012 08:32
  • Thanks Pam! He's finding the tiredness and horrible flatulence the worse. Had quite a bit of tingling in hands and feet last week after 3rd session. He had to have his steroids adjusted the first time round as he was completely knocked off his feet. Trying not to fight it and go with the flow and listen to his body. Folfox via PICC was his choice of the 3 options offered and I sometime think he wishes he'd just gone down the oral route but then I couldn't play 'nurses'!! Getting used to removing his infusor bottle and changing the dressing. At least I don't feel helpless like I did in the beginning.

Keep feeling positive and keep in touch.

Fran x

Dare to be different and set your own pattern. Live your own life and follow your dream.

• Hi Jules,

There was a post recently with a link to a story about someone who only had radiotherapy for rectal cancer, and the cancer cleared without surgery.  It's not for everyone; there is only a small percentage of cases where it happens, but sometimes patients do respond so well to radiotherapy that the initial tumour actually disappears.

There is still the risk of recurrence, and of secondary tumours, so I don't want to pretend that radiotherapy is enough; it's very experimental (there are current clinical trials).

The reason for mentioning it at all, is that your consultant is reluctant to give you a prognosis because s/he really doesn't know what will happen next, and can't predict the response you will have.

Hope all goes well for you :)

Jazz C

• Hello Julie -

My husband was just diagnosed the the same T3N1 Rectal Cancer with node involvement last week. As scary as this all is all the doctors involved are saying they are very optimistic this is curable. We met with the doctor this morning who will oversee the radiation part of his treatment and see the Oncologist this afternoon with the Chemo part of the plan. My head spins daily as we have been running in circles with all the testing and appointments the last few days. I tell myself daily this is all for a good reason as I never want to loose my husband so we will fight extra hard but still keep life as normal as possible for us. The plan right now is 6 weeks of radiation and chemo then a 6-8 week break for my husband to recover and get back on his feet then he will have his first surgery mid February 8 week re-coop period then they will do his second surgery another re-coop period and then 6 more months of chemo. I find myself rambling and I hope part of this helps put you at ease somewhat. As hard as it is try as hard as it maybe to stay positive some days will be worse than others and your entitled to that. Please keep me posted and I wish you the very best of luck and feel things will turn out fine. Best of luck! :)

Lisa

Hugs & Kisses to All

• Hi Lisa, So sorry you find yourselves in this position. You must all be reeling with the news. I remember my first few months being the worst. I have been through the same regime as your husband. Having chemo and radiotherapy for 6 weeks the a break and scan to see if the tumour had shrunk. Followed by surgery, I had a AP Resection, which resulted in a permanent colostomy and no rectum. After about 6 weeks of recovery I started on i.v chemo and chemo pills, which I was on for 6 months. Just to mop up cancer cells in the blood. Again had a break and was given a scan, only to discovery the cancer was back, this time in my lungs! However, this might never happen to your husband. My friend had the same cancer, same staging too, and wasn't offered chemo after surgery and he is fine. No two people react the same, with this disease. I am lucky that my cancer is currently stable, means not grown or shrunk but is staying the same. In many ways I think it's harder to be a carer than the person with the disease. I deal with it far better than my husband but I know if the tables were turned, I'd react the same way as he is. Radiotherapy makes you tired and towards the very end of your treatment can cause burn soreness. As for chemo, it's not pleasant but is manageable. All the side effects are managed very well by the chemo team. I still manage to do things but plan things on my good weeks, perhaps not the first few days after chemo. Stay strong and there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. Good things do come out of this awful disease. I've found that I've changed for the better, both sides of the family are much closer. I've found inner strength, that I didn't realise I had. In bad situations, good things can happen. Keep that in mind. Your family will be in my prayers. Much love and hugs Jules xxx

Jules

Page 2 of 2 < Prev 512