Just been diagnosed

New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Just been diagnosed

No. of entries: 4 | Posted on 25 Feb 2013 12:01
  • Hi all,

It's my 44th birthday this week and on Thursday out of the blue I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and am being lined up for urgent surgery.

My doctor tells me they won't have much idea how bad it is until they have the results from some blood they took, and then I have to have a CT scan on Friday to see if it's spread.  Even then I guess I won't really know for sure until they do the op and perform a biopsy.

I know testicular cancer is supposed to have some of the best statistics for survival rates but right now it all seems uncertain.  My dad died from pancreatic cancer when I was just 15 so I've always had a fear of the big C.  I know pancreatic cancer, by contrast, is one of the least treatable so I know my diagnosis is not necessarily a death sentence, but right now I have no idea if it's spread and how bad it is - so I guess ultimately I don't know whether I'm going to live or die.  

Trying to be positive - and getting great support from my wife and brothers and friends - but have a constant sick feeling in my stomach - metaphorically rather than symptoms - I hope! 

Anyway just looking for information and maybe even to find someone in a similar situation to talk to.

Ken

Always look on the bright side of life! :)

• Hello Ken.   I am sorry that a diagnosis of testicular cancer has brought you here, but welcome to the Mac community .... a marvellous place for help and support. It is indeed a trauma when we are told we have cancer but here you will find some lovely people who are / have been through much the same and can give you a hand on the journey.

So take a deep breath and try to stay positive .... it really does help ! There is a Testicular Cancer group here on the site which I would recommend that you join as there are some great guys who will answer the many questions you will have. So pop over and then you can either join in an ongoing discussion or start a new thread .... I think you'll find this is what you are looking for. Take care and best wishes.

Joycee x

• A warm welcome from me too. This site can take a bit of getting used to and navigating around isn't always easy. To find the testicular group go to 'Groups' at the top of the page, then choose 'Cancer Types' and go through the alphabetical list until you find 'Testicular Cancer'.

You can also find help and support from the nurses here on this site. They operate Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm on freephone 0808 808 0000.

Best wishes

KateG

Click here to find out more

• Thanks Joycee - found the TC group and got some useful responses already!

Cheers,

Ken

Always look on the bright side of life! :)

Page 1 of 1