New, somewhat worried, eating chocolate and trying not to panic.

New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

New, somewhat worried, eating chocolate and trying not to panic.

No. of entries: 2 | No.of favourites: 0 | Posted on 20 Oct 2013 10:38
  • Hi,

In brief - three months ago my lovely aunty was diagnosed with incurable cancer, pretty much everywhere. After a very scary start she is, amazingly, doing pretty well at the moment.

Just as we think we have all come to terms with 'it', I had a lump under my arm checked out on Thursday (I have pretty bad rheumatoid arthritis and was having my monthly infusion at hospital; mentioned it in passing to my nurse who asked the consultant to check it) and have been referred as 'urgent' to the breast clinic.

I have to ring if I haven't heard anything by tomorrow.

So ...... how concerned should I be?

I have had a similar lump before in the other arm, but it was tender, soft and vanished quickly.This is hard, pea sized,painless. Last night I found another very close to it.

I am trying to stay calm, and if anything have gone the other way - a  rather 'couldn't make it up!' attitude, which I think is a form of self protection (hide it all under humour).  Any hints of what to expect would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi Sulkycat,

Trying not to panic and stay calm is good (although not easy....) and if eating chocolate helps then eat away!  

I recently had a bit of a scare and if the way I felt was anything to go by then you will be as concerned as you will be whatever anyone else says. When you have a loved one with cancer it can make you worry more that that is what you have.

But just try not to assume it is cancer - it could be a number of things or nothing at all. It is worth getting it checked out though and so the sooner you are seen the better - either they will be able to put your mind at rest or, if they do detect cancer, you can start treatment and a lot of cancers are very treatable.

After a mammogram, a second mammogram, an ultrasound, core biopsies taken, being told to think about surgeons and hospital, results benign but screening centre still not happy and more biopsies taken in mammogram machine, I recently got the all clear. Phew - how relieved was I! My husband and sister both have cancer and I just couldn't afford not to be well myself as my husband needs me! So if your tests go on, try not to be over anxious - they could just be being very thorough :-).

It is great to hear your Aunt is doing well - long may that continue and I hope you are seen by the screening centre soon and really really hope it turns out to be nothing serious. Please let us know when you hear.

Hiloa x

Please click here for more information

Click here for downloadable Macmillan booklets

Page 1 of 1