New and struggling with radiotherapy mask

New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

New and struggling with radiotherapy mask

No. of entries: 3 | No.of favourites: 0 | Posted on 09 Jan 2013 12:01
  • Went to radiotherapy today for a planning/ simulation to treat a pituitary tumour. Was expecting it to be fine but it was much tougher than I expected. I found the mask very tight around my neck and eventually had to abandon the session. I was clearly more anxious than I thought I'd be, not helped by an upset tum (from other causes). I will be going back next week and hope that I will be better prepared. They've also given me a relaxant that should help. Any other tips on how to handle the simulation would be most appreciated. I think I'll be fine once the treatment starts as it will be less time "pinned down". I just need to get through the simulation!
    Take care Mags
  • Hi Mags,

I'm sorry to hear you had to abandon your radiotherapy session. It sounds as though it was a really difficult and anxious experience. I'm glad you've found our site, as many of our members find that it does help to share experiences and get support with others who are going through similar things.

I'd recommend joining and posting in some groups that are relevant to you. We have a Pituitary Tumours group, but I can see that this hasn't been very active for a while, so you may also be interested in joining the general Brain Tumours group.

Another really good source of support is to give our team of experts a call on freephone 0808 808 0000 (Mon-Fri, 9am-8pm). They can help with any questions you may have about your treatment, or they are there to listen if you just need to talk.

• Thanks for your reply. I saw the pituitary group but like you noticed it is very quiet. I feel a bit of a fraud going on the brain tumours group as my condition is much less serious, albeit that the treatment is the same. I have found some good support from the pituitary foundation. I guess it's a good thing that there aren't many people with this issue?! Thanks again
    Take care Mags
Page 1 of 1