I really need some answers. I'm so worried and confused about my mum.
She had stage 3a Ovarian cancer 5 Years ago and subsequently had a full hysterectomy followed by 6 months of chemo which was ultimately successful.
However, for the past year her CA125 score has been increasing during her 3 month blood check up. It is now at 3500 (very high). So her consultant decided to do another CT scan.
This time they have found 2 more cancers. One is an Omentum Cake which is approx 4cm in diameter and 2cm in depth, and the other cancer is in the area between the liver and diaphragm (although not affecting the actual liver).
The consultant is unsure what to do with her at the moment as apparently the area between the liver and diaphragm is very difficult to operate on so they are deciding whether to start straight away with chemo and then attempt surgery or the other way around.
I've been looking on the internet for an idea on the survival rate for this, but I can't seem to get much info. The only thing I can find that seems to describe this area between the liver and diaphragm is the Peritoneal... is that correct?
I need to know how likely she is to survive this or if not how long she has left. We live quite a distance away from her and so I want to make sure that if she has a limited amount of time left that we are with her as much as possible.
I know it sounds pessimistic but I'm just so worried.
Any info would be grately recieved.
I can't give you any advice, I'm sorry. I just want to say that I'm sorry that your family is yet again coping with cancer.
I know nothing about 'proper' ovarian cancer- I'm recovering from a germ cell tumour. The tumour persisted in the area between the lung and the diaphragm (long story short I've had two surgeries to this area).
I don't know if this is an option but perhaps insisting on speaking to a liver surgeon could be a way forward?
Don't look for survival rates. Concentrate on the here and now. Your mum is not a statistic but a person with her own individual prognostic factors- but even then you do not know what the outcome will be.
I hope things go well. Remember the best people to speak to are always the medical team who know your mother well. Lx
First of all, since your mother responded well to her first treatment, she has a good chance of getting into remission again. Beyond that, a couple of points puzzle me. She should have had a scan long before her CA125 reached 3500 - usually a scan is ordered when CA125 rises rapidly over at least two readings a month apart. Secondly, the omental cake - her omentum should have been removed during her initial debulking surgery.
State of the art treatment would be to surgically remove the tumours and then have chemo. Has she seen a gynae onc surgeon? That would be a good first step.
I do hope things go well for you both. Try to take it a day at a time.
If you have any questions about Macmillan we would love to hear from you
You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr or YouTube.
© Macmillan Cancer Support 2015
what are these?