My husband has cancer but DSS says he must get a job

Friends and family

When someone is diagnosed with cancer, it affects all the people around them. You can talk openly here, and share your questions, concerns and stories.

My husband has cancer but DSS says he must get a job

No. of entries: 3 | No.of favourites: 0 | Posted on 12 Jan 2013 07:54
  • My husband is poorly with head and neck cancer. He's been receiving benefits for a year as his health has deteriorated. Now they've said he must go back to work! He's lost half his skull through surgery and is waiting to take up radio therapy. Yet a woman rang yesterday and asked him if he'd finished his CV. Can anyone advise what we can do?
    Alexandra
  • Hello Alexandra.   I am sorry that your husband is going through treatment for head and neck cancer, it is indeed very traumatic for you both at the moment and the last thing is to be worried by these employment issues. Having been through surgery / radiotherapy for mouth cancer I understand how debilitating it all is and there is no way that I could have worked through it .... let alone work on compiling a CV.

I would suggest that you talk to your husband's Doctor about this and you can also speak to someone on the free Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 0000 which is open between Mon - Fri from 9.00am - 8.00pm. Unfortunately we are now into weekend, but if you call on Monday then they will put you through to someone who can help / advise about this situation.

I hope that you get some advice and all best wishes for your husband's treatment.

Joycee x

Click here to find out more

• I'd call Macmillan next week.  I think radiotherapy should mean your husband automatically qualifies for ESA (a sickness benefit) - http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press-releases/2012/sep-2012/dwp100-12.shtml

Try not to panic.  I don't know if they said why they were hassling your husband now, but I'd give decent odds on an admin error!

Click here to find out more

Page 1 of 1