Highlights on chemo hair

Chat

Join for general conversation. Find discussions about anything and everything. If you can’t find what you’re looking for feel free to start a discussion of your own.

Highlights on chemo hair

No. of entries: 15 | Posted on 09 Mar 2009 01:00
  • My hair is starting to grow back after chemo. I would like to go back to my old highlights as the new hair is the natural colour (salt and pepper) but am not sure about the advice on this. Kylie Minogue looks as though she was able to bleach her hair and nice hair does give you a lift, so I would like to try it if advisable. Has anyone any experience of this themselves?
  • Hi yes I had my hair highlighted both times after chemo - they advise that you don't - but this is advice not based on any studies - someone I know had to sign a waiver with the hairdresser to avoid any possibility of them being sued should the hair fall out before the hairdresser would agree to do it! Jools x

There is no better excercise in the world than to reach down and lift someone up

• Hi Jools,

How long after chemo was the highlighting done?

My last chemo was at the end of November - is this a long enough wait do you think?
  • But I didn't lose my hair with chemo. It worked out quite well though.

I think you need to use a good product. If you lose your hair again, you can still go back to the wigs.

love

Rwth

Rwth

Face the worst and it doesn't seem as bad as you first thought.

• I waited about 6 weeks so that the hair at the root of my hair was a bit thicker (chemo means we make thinner hair until the follicles have recovered) so Id say you are fine to go ahead - just let your hairdresser know so she is aware your hair maybe fragile :o) Jools x

There is no better excercise in the world than to reach down and lift someone up

• Thank you for your advice. I will wait another 4 weeks (so that will be 16 weeks in total after chemo) so it should be OK. I will let you know anyway!

On another subject but why does my profile not show Email, Buddy etc like other peoples?Mine just shows 'Online' or 'Offline'
  • Hi Binky,
    I was told by my oncologist not to dye my hair for 6 months, however have decided to risk it, with Daniel field hair dye.other people have used it and it says on the website its safe to use even during chemo.My chemo finished on 29th Dec (carboplatin and paclitexal). Hair was blond with highlights before, now its dark grey.Have decided to dye it brown- partly because its too short for highlights.Waiting for it to arrive in the post. Hoping to go out without the wig soon after......Good luck with the highlights.
    Julie
  • Hi Binky,

I finished my chemo end of November and I have just had my hair tipped. ie they have just put a very few at the ends, I have been fine and the hair is OK. It has made me feel alot better even with a few in, so my advise would be to let the hairdresser take a look and go for it!
Page 1 of 2 12Next 5 >